Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2002 - Problem With Contact List

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Calvinach

Calvinach

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:21 PM

Hello,

I am running MS Outlook 2002 (SP3 installed) on Windows XP. Whenever I open Outlook, the following message appears once for evey contact I have in my contact list "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose 'No'."

I currently have an account set up where there are no entries in my contact list and the issue does not exist. However, as soon as I add a contact the message appears. If I add two contacts, I get two messages, etc.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this? I am currently running a small program called ClickYes which automatically clicks the "Yes" button to allow access whenever the aforementioned message pops up. I recognize that this is merely a band-aide approach and was hoping that there would be something more permanent available. Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:06 PM

Go to Tools > Options > Mail Format & uncheck both of the Use Microsoft Word To boxes. Apply > OK your way out.

#3 Calvinach

Calvinach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:46 PM

hillbillygreek - Thanks for your response. The items you indicated have been unchecked for some time and yet I am still having issues. Any other thoughts?

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:03 PM

Hi Calvinach,

Since your HijackThis Log is still open, my advise to you is to post back to that topic: Infected With Many Nasty Things.
You will get assistance with removing the remaining malware from your OS, in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum .
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Calvinach

Calvinach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:01 AM

TMack -

The problem with my Outlook contact list existed long before the viruses came into play. I purchased a new laptop from Dell in January and installed a copy of MS Office that I had on cd. Everything was fine until I installed SP3 a couple of days later. The virus issue didn't come up until April when I clicked on something I should not have and has since been resolved. As a result, I don't think this is malware related but has something to do with changes implimented by SP3.

Do you still see a need for me to treat it as a malware issue?

#6 lahdels

lahdels

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:10 PM

Was there any final solution to this problem. I have the exact same issue (I run Vista and Outlook 2002)?

#7 Calvinach

Calvinach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:18 PM

lahdels - No, I have not yet had this resolved. All of my malware issues have been fixed but my issue with Outlook still exists. In fact, the problem with Outlook existed long before I got infected so I don't think it has anything to do with a virus or such. My understanding is that it may be related to new security features associated with having SP3 installed but I don't know for sure.

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?

#8 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:04 AM

Install this program to see if you can determine what's causing this error:

Link >> Advanced Security For Outlook

Close Outlook & install. You should first read the Release Notes provided. Open Outlook & when the message pops up (not counting the Welcome pop-up) see which program is causing the error. You will be given 3 options from which to choose. Put a checkmark by Always Perform This Action if it's determined to be safe. Caution: It should be noted that this will block, if you choose that option, the offending program from accessing Outlook, subsequently, stopping the message. Make your decision very carefully. If any problems should arise, you can undo or change any decision by going to Outlook's Tools > Advanced Security > Action List & choosing an option.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 31 May 2008 - 07:24 AM.

#9 lahdels

lahdels

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:33 AM

Any suggestions on installation settings when I can NOT install due to my adminstrator settings? Many thanks!

#10 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:08 AM

Not on Vista (hope I get these right) but making sure that this computer you are on is not part of a work domain, right click on the installer & choose Run as administrator.

If it then does not run, right-click the program icon, click Properties, click the Compatibility tab, select the Run this program as an administrator at the bottom under Prvilege Level.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 01 June 2008 - 01:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users