Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Trojan Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cmoney0954_*

Guest_cmoney0954_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:20 PM

AVG detects Trojan horse Downloader.Presario.A just about 20-30 minutes or so after every time I get on the computer. I always select "move to vault" then delete it from there. Either it never works or always comes back. Every time after i delete it and am on the computer for even just a few minutes longer everything will respond extremely slow. I click on my computer folder and it takes ages to load, so long that I've yet to wait and see just how long it takes to load, I always just hold the power button and turn it off after that happens. I do that because if I try to turn if off the by going start> turn off computer- it also takes forever, again too long for me to wait around and seejust how long it takes. Another way this trojan likes to piss me off is by making internet explorer and even task manager take a hell of a long time to load up after I "remove it" from the AVG virus vault. This damn trojan was here a week ago, before I did damn near 5 system recoveries trying to solve this problem and is still here today. As a matter of fact i have an AVG "threat detected" box letting me know its here on my screen right now as I am typing this message.

After doing research on this problem i came across this on yahoo answers i think it is:

avg6 detected the virus located in c\windows\system32\msCMTsrvc.exe this file did not exist in the xp files of a non infected computer. first i renamed the file, moved it to the desktop and restarted windows to see if it noticed a missing file. all was well; next i moved it to the recycle bin and ran avg again. this time avg could and did remove it. i recommend before running avg to remove a trojan to disable system restore because a trojan can hide there and also in norton quarranteen. after removing virus restart and retest then enable restore, restart and retest. see my web page at www.bubbatech.RemovedByAdmin2.com

Would it be suggested that I try this? Also any other help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:12 PM

What OS (Win 2K, XPsp1, XPsp2, Vista) are you using? Have you tried doing your scans in "Safe Mode"?

Did AVG provide a specific file name associated with this malware threat and if so, where is it located (full file path) at on your system? If the scan saved a log file, it should show exactly what and where the malware was found so post that instead.

i recommend before running avg to remove a trojan to disable system restore because a trojan can hide there and also in norton quarranteen

Disabling System Restore as the first step when attempting to clean or scan for malware is not advisable as you will loose all previously stored restore points. Unfortunately, some anti-virus vendors still recommend doing this before attempting malware removal and many folks follow that advice. This is really not a good practice when dealing with infected computer systems. Turning System Restore off and then turning it back on has some risk associated with it since that feature does not always work as intended. Further, there is always a possibility of something going wrong during the malware removal process and you end up with more problems. Without a restore point to fall back on, you are then stuck with a limited means of restoring your system such as a Repair Install or Reformat. Although System Restore is not 100% guaranteed to work all the time, it at least gives you another option. See "System Restore and malware removal - what is best practice?" and "Should I purge all my restore point BEFORE removing infection?".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Guest_cmoney0954_*

Guest_cmoney0954_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:03 PM

Thanks, my OS is XPsp1. I have tried my scans in safe mode and had the same problems(trojan kept coming back and causing safe mode to run as slow as regular mode). Sorry I forgot to post the file path
C:\\WINDOWS\system32\msCMTsrvc.exe

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:18 PM

This appears to be a "false positive". See here and here.

Edited by quietman7, 25 April 2008 - 11:18 PM.

#5 Guest_cmoney0954_*

Guest_cmoney0954_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:55 PM

thanks, so how do I disable it? or do i just dellete it?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:56 AM

avg6 detected the virus located in c\windows\system32\msCMTsrvc.exe

You can set AVG to ignore this file or you can upgrade AVG to the latest version.

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0 - AVG Anti-Virus Free User Manual

There have been a few reported problems with AVG so you may want to upgrade to AVG7.5 which is still available at these links:
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=avg
http://cid-0ca5f9f4d43fe6b9.skydrive.live....ee_524a1289.zip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users