Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Ram Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 n8_r_moore

n8_r_moore

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:48 PM

I am unhappy with the apparent speed at which my laptop runs: WinXP SP2, HP Pavilion ze4523, Intel Celeron 2.4GHz, 256MB RAM. I feel inadequate. I want to try Ubuntu, but my computer is too slow.

The HP Service manual says I can have up to 1GB using 512 SDRAM modules. That seems more like it. However, it says PC2100 DDR-266 SDRAM. When talking about User-Replaceable SDRAM modules, the Service Manual lists a variety of HP and Compaq machines that can only use DDR266 SDRAM modules, but this does not include my ze4500.

I'm wondering if it's possible to use any type of laptop RAM, or if I'm limited to DDR266. Even better, could I use DDR2? It is cheaper, but most of what's available at my local computer store is DDR2-533 or -667. Am I correct in thinking that DDR-333 or -400 will work in my laptop, but be limited by the bus speed? The service manual mentions 266MHz processor system bus.

Perhaps a little explanation about hardware would also be good. Thanks for any replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:43 PM

DDR PC 2700
http://www.crucial.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 n8_r_moore

n8_r_moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:03 PM

Thankyou very much. Pretty good site - better than my local, Price Spy

Cheers.

#4 n8_r_moore

n8_r_moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:56 AM

Following is part of a cpuz.txt file that I created today. I have bought two G-skill 512MB DDR400 modules for my laptop, seemed like the best deal at a local store. The crucial link above said it was possible to run DDR333 PC2700 or DDR400 PC3200 modules. They aren't recognised - computer doesn't boot with only one or both of them in, but does run on the original 256MB module, and cpuz physically finds a new one.

Have I outdone myself? Does the module I bought only run with 166 or 200 MHz, according to the timings table? I was quite careful with static. Anyone want to buy a couple of laptop memory modules for cheap?

Memory SPD
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIMM #1

General
Memory type DDR
Manufacturer (ID) (FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Size 256 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2100 (133 MHz)
Part number FC5BD404
Serial number FFFFFFFF
Manufacturing date Week 255/Year 255

Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no
Nominal Voltage 2.50 Volts
EPP no
XMP no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 133
CAS# 2.5
RAS# to CAS# delay 3
RAS# Precharge 3
TRAS 6

DIMM #2

General
Memory type DDR
Manufacturer (ID) G.Skill (7F7F7F7FCD000000)
Size 512 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)
Part number F1-3200PHU1-512SA

Attributes
Number of banks 1
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no
Nominal Voltage 2.50 Volts
EPP no
XMP no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 166 200
CAS# 2.5 3.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 3 4
RAS# Precharge 3 4
TRAS 7 8

Edited by n8_r_moore, 04 June 2008 - 01:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users