Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cab Archive Currupt?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:50 PM

Hello all,

I am using Avast to run my virus scans and I am coming across alot of CAB currupt files mostely from my IE6 tempfile.CAB windows hlp files. I know its just help files but it gets annoying every scan is there a way I can reload the files or repair a currupt file? What exactly is a currupt file, like how did it get currupt? Any feedback would be helpful.

swaMprUnner
I would rather be a little overkill with my computer. Than to have my computer be killed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

A corrupt file is simply a damaged file, one that will not work as programmed (because it's damaged). I have no idea why they are called "corrupt" as opposed to "damaged."

http://www.smartcomputing.com/Editorial/ar...3.asp&guid=

Many things, including malware, can result in corrupt files. If these are systems files, Windows may act "unusual", if they are data files...the user may be unable to read, write to, or open same.

You can try using the tool listed, LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

This will replace any missing or damaged system files (HELP files included). Please read all instructions for using.

Louis

#3 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:48 PM

Sweet thanks for the links I will try them out and post the outcome.

swaMprUnner
I would rather be a little overkill with my computer. Than to have my computer be killed.

#4 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:17 PM

Thanks again for the info link and the sfc /scannow I did not know about that built in program. I ran it and now I am waiting to see what it did by scanning my computer agian with Avast. I will post the results when I see what happened.

swaMprUnner

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:43 PM

You might also want to run chkdsk, Graphical Version, to counter other file problems.

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

If you decide to do so, put check marks in both options presented (scan, recover).

Louis

#6 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:47 PM

I got the same results as the last time I ran Avast currupt CAB files. I will try the Chkdsk and post the results.

swaMprUnner

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:47 PM

Avast is an AV program...I guess that I don't understand why it's concerned with file corruption.

What is the exact message that you are seeing when you reference this phenomenon?

Louis

#8 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:59 AM

I tried that Chkdsk and nothing came up. Well this is what I get at the end of my avast search:

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ a long as number \BIT6.temp\mrt.exe CAB archive currupted
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ a long as number \BIT6.temp\_sfx_0000._p CAB archive currupted
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ a long as number \BIT6.temp\_sfx_0001._p Reached end of file
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ a long as number \BIT4D.temp\_sfx_0007._p CAB archive currupted
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ a long as number \BIT4D.temp\_sfx_0010._p Reached end of file

C:\WORKSSETUP\MSWORKS\REDIST\IE6\TEMPFILE.CAB\msoe.chm\msoe.hhk CHM archive currupted
C:\WORKSSETUP\MSWORKS\REDIST\IE6\TEMPFILE.CAB\msoe.chm\#WINDOWS CHM archive currupted
C:\WORKSSETUP\MSWORKS\REDIST\IE6\TEMPFILE.CAB\msoe.chm CAB archive currupted
C:\WORKSSETUP\MSWORKS\REDIST\IE6\TEMPFILE.CAB\msoe.hlp CAB archive currupted
C:\WORKSSETUP\MSWORKS\REDIST\IE6\TEMPFILE.CAB\msoe50.inf CAB archive currupted
C:\WORKSSETUP\MSWORKS\REDIST\IE6\TEMPFILE.CAB\msoe.txt CAB archive currupted
C:\WORKSSETUP\MSWORKS\REDIST\IE6\TEMPFILE.CAB\aleabanr.gif CAB archive currupted
C:\WORKSSETUP\MSWORKS\REDIST\IE6\TEMPFILE.CAB\amaizrul.gif CAB archive currupted
C:\WORKSSETUP\MSWORKS\REDIST\IE6\TEMPFILE.CAB\anabnr2.gif CAB archive currupted
C:\WORKSSETUP\MSWORKS\REDIST\IE6\TEMPFILE.CAB\aswrule.gif CAB archive currupted
C:\WORKSSETUP\MSWORKS\REDIST\IE6\TEMPFILE.CAB\blank.htm CAB archive currupted
C:\WORKSSETUP\MSWORKS\REDIST\IE6\TEMPFILE.CAB\blankbkg.gif CAB archive currupted
C:\WORKSSETUP\MSWORKS\REDIST\IE6\TEMPFILE.CAB\btzhsepa.gif CAB archive currupted

What do you think?

swaMprUnner

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:44 AM

I think that I would just delete every one of those files, since they all seem to be temp files.

System temp files are supposed to be deleted on reboot/program close, while IE temp files can be deleted anytime.

I think (cannot confirm) that anything in that Windows/Download folder is pretty much expendable...I suspect that those files are just debris left over from various updates to Windows and are nonessential.

http://www.allpostnews.co.uk/i33/Safe%20to...%20download.php

I'm not sure why the AV is alerting on them, I've never seen that by any of the various AV programs I've tried over the years...but I think deleting them is what I would do.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users