Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Power To Mouse Or Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mike Grisa

Mike Grisa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

Ok, a few days ago, I came home to find my computer simply frozen. Moving the mouse didn't do anything, as didn't any keystrokes. I turned the computer off and back on, thinking it was just a small glitch, but when it came back on, the visualization on the screen was funky, really funky. I was able to open programs, but not able to see what to do on them or to even close them. I could not see anything like the red x to close and whatnot. After turning the computer on and off a few times, the monitor was telling me occasionally that the freq was out of range, or simply go to my motherboard's screen that it opens with, which is a white and orange screen that says GIGABYTE. Mostly, it was just a blank screen, like it put itself into standby, even though my settings are not for it to do so. Then I noticed my CPU fan was not running, but all three case fans were. The copper around my Zalman fan was on the hot side. Also, no LED's on my keyboard were coming on. I verified the keyboard's ability to work on another computer, and it does, wih the lights working, as well.

I just built this computer about 2 months ago, and everything had been working fine for the most part. The only thing of note was my wireless keyboard/mouse was not working for a little bit, but everything was fine when I put in the wired kb/mouse.

Oh, I pulled out both internal hard drives and put them in external cases to verify on other computers. Of the two, the 120GB IDE hard drive is listed as the D: drive, but has the OS, which is XP home. On another computer, it said that it was only about 31GB or so and unformatted. The SATA 320GB drive was perfectly fine, which on the main computer from which it was pulled was the C: drive.

So, if anyone has any idea of what is going on with my system, please let me know. If it matters any, the processor is an AMD Athlon dual-core. The Power Supply is made by CLIO, and I believe it's 400W. All components in the system are brand new when assembled, with the exception of the 120GB IDE hard drive that contains the OS.

Edited by Mike Grisa, 25 April 2008 - 03:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:08 PM

Did you use thermal compound on the heatsink? Remove the heatsink, clean off the compound and inspect the CPU. Look for discoloration or scorch marks.
Unplug it and remove the 24pin motherboard connector, and plug it back in. Short the green wire with any black wir. in the plug e with a paper clip or whatever. the power supply should turn on and remain on. Buy or borrow a voltmeter and check all of the different voltages in the plug
Pinout chart

Edited by garmanma, 25 April 2008 - 10:10 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users