Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Printer Installation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:30 PM

I recently did a fresh install of XP Home about a month ago (should have came here first...LOL). After reading some of the tutorials here I decided that I should have created partitons insteading of just using one partition....I finally bit the bullet and did just that. I booted with my XP CD, created the partitions, formated the first partion (NTFS), and continued the install. Everything went perfectly...HURRAY!!! I went ahead and reloaded SP2 from microsoft downloads (couldn't slipstream onto XP because CD/RW usb device is giving me issues but that's for another day...Everything works smoothly...
I don't have a large HD (only 16GB) on this old laptop but windows is responding much quicker and I plan on installing DSL on another drive to have a dual boot system (if and when I can get my CD/RW device to start working again).

Up to this time, there were no issues until today when I wanted to print a page...Dummy, forgot to re-install my printer!!! No problem...Got HP CD and tried to install thru the Hardware Wizard...Loaded drivers...Finished...Second Hardware Wizard opened up (it' done this before when I tried to install this printer)...Loads some more drivers and the install wizard opens up...Asked me if I wanted to do full install (recommended)..Clicked OK...It initialized, prepared for install giving me a warning about 128RAM being adequate but recommends more...OK...Continued anyway as I have in the past...Started the install process...Loaded about 15% then got an error that printer couldn't be installed, Un-Plug, press continue...Wizard then went thru process of cleaning up files...Restarted computer (plugged printer back in) went thru the same routine with the same result...This can't be good...Tried one more time, this time selecting jus to load minimum of drivers...Process finished this time and installed the printer...Printed the pages that I wanted...This printer is of the 4215 series (prints, faxes,scan, and copies) I'm concerned that do to the earlier problems that some of these other functions might not work properly..I guess that I'll find out one way or another...

I guess that my real question is did re-partitioning my HD into smaller partitions be a cause of this type of issue? I know that I have a RAM issue but that will be resolved in a few days when another 128RAM module comes in the mail...This old laptop will only support 256RAM...It is what it is...Should I probably try to un-install this printer once the additional RAM is installed and re-install or just leave well enough alone (If it ain't broke..Don't fix it...I think that I have read that somewhere before)? Any suggestions?
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Samsbc12

Samsbc12

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:21 PM

Douglas I doubt that repartitioning your computer is the cause of your problem. What I think happened is when you reformatted you wiped your information including hardware drivers. You did the right thing installing them again with the cd, however I bet that the cd is damaged, either scratch, dusty, or something else.

I think you would be better off getting the drivers from HP's website. This will insure that you get the latest and greatest, as well as not using a damaged cd.

I believe you want this page , but if not go to hp.com and search for your printers drivers.

Let me know if you need anything else.

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for replying... So far it's a non issue...I can copy...I can scan...I haven't tried fax yet but I really feel that I shouldn't have a problem with that either as the other functions seem to work...You may be right about the original CD though...I have kept it in it's original jacket but that is still no gaurantee that it is pristine.....

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:04 AM

Once you've established that everything is okay with "all" your drivers, there are many software programs (some free too) that will make a backup of all the drivers on your system. Most of them will also include the program GUI, so that after a Windows reinstall, you don't even have to install the program again to restore your drivers. Most include the choice of copying all the drivers and/or just the 3rd party drivers. Most also include a backup in .exe format. No more searching for the .inf file. Just click the .exe. The GUI comes up, and you browse in Explorer fashion to select the drivers you want to reinstall.

If you save the backup to CD, then there's no more searching for multiple CDs for each program you've installed that has its own driver. You could also put a copy of your backup on your computer for easy access, if you have the room.

Edited by mommabear, 26 April 2008 - 07:06 AM.

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for the info...May be worth looking into...Lugging some of these CD's around, trying not to lose the vital ones,can definatly be bothersome sometimes. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users