Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Free Dll. Clean-up Tool ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 digitmann

digitmann

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:52 PM

Is there a free driver/ dll/ all that other extra crap clean up/find new updated stuff program out there? Have no XP cd.When I restored from the D-partition I spent the day updating all that I could find updates for. However, when I ran a trial clean-up tool it found all kinds of issues and found I am missing a bunch of dll's. I am a bit apprehensive about many of them and well... I guess I would rather not spend hours on the phone with some tech from another country who is just gonna tick me off, In the end finding myself back at square 1. :thumbsup: Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:26 PM

Replacing .Dll files would require SFC/scannow with an XP CD. If you're missing that many, it would suggest a faulty re-install. You sais you recovered from a partition. What is the make and model?

Edited by garmanma, 25 April 2008 - 01:26 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 digitmann

digitmann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:53 PM

OH YES! The first one was very Faulty, the second seemed ok, except I lost some of the basic package programs. So, yes it was faulty too. I have an HP media center pc m370n : Pent-4 2.80Ghz dual w/2G-Ram on XP media w/srvc pck 2 updated to date.

Edited by digitmann, 25 April 2008 - 01:54 PM.

#4 Samsbc12

Samsbc12

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:25 PM

Your post is a little unclear to me. What program did you run that told you that you need to clean things up?

Also if you are looking for drivers say for your video card http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...n-Devices.shtml does a great job at locating the device drivers.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:11 PM

If you contact HP and give the model, serial and or service tag number, they will send you a set of recovery disks for a nominal fee (about $20.) It's possible your recovery partition is damaged
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 digitmann

digitmann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:15 PM

Samsbc12, one of the progs. I ran was "Optimise2" from PC-Pitstop. The other, I'm afraid I don't rem. I will check Softpedia though since part of the issue I have is for my card readers. Thanks! Another issue is/was a bios update. Tricky stuff, and I made a mistake updating one of those a few years back. :thumbsup:
Garmanma, Thank you. I was not aware it would cost so little for the recovery set. I intend on doing that (now) also.
However, I would still like to know if there are any free-ware progs. for finding what issues my comp has and that help repair broken sys/sub-sys links or missing .dlls or just basic computer hick-ups etc.

Edited by digitmann, 26 April 2008 - 07:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users