Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tcp/ip Config

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 digitmann

digitmann

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:08 PM

Just wondering, but how would I provide direct communications paths between 2 pcs using the TCP/IP port level? If I am using a program or game (any number of which) to make a server and want to allow a specific person access to something I am running through my Linksys router.... better example; Say home world 2 or Diablo, or Starcraft or whatever. If I want to allow someone else access (once the program has established it is waiting for another computer to connect), would this work?
Person B entering the network enters at 192.168.10.200:16200. Providing I have set my router to keep open port range of START= 16200 to END = 16201 and 192.168.10.200? I know there are a ton of variables I am leaving out but, in simple form the key here is Start to End = : to match. Right? Or do they have nothing in common at all?
In other words, what does the ":16200" stand for?

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK <--- sorry bout that

Edited by digitmann, 25 April 2008 - 08:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:39 PM

If both PC's are on the local side of the router there is no need
to forward anything. If the player is outside the network then you
need to forward the port (16200) to the machine serving the game.

Example:
I have server A running Americas Army. (192.168.2.2)
I have desktop B with the game. (192.168.2.3)
In game I just: Open 192.168.2.2:16200 ( or whatever port the game listens on)
If I want someone else to join they need to enter my public IP (172.6.111.222:16200) and
have my router forwarding requests on port 16200 to the server (192.168.2.2)

Your router manufacturer will usually have this info on their site.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 digitmann

digitmann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:47 AM

You da man Raw! :thumbsup:

#4 nambinhvu

nambinhvu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:05 PM

Just wondering, but how would I provide direct communications paths between 2 pcs using the TCP/IP port level? If I am using a program or game (any number of which) to make a server and want to allow a specific person access to something I am running through my Linksys router.... better example; Say home world 2 or Diablo, or Starcraft or whatever. If I want to allow someone else access (once the program has established it is waiting for another computer to connect), would this work?
Person B entering the network enters at 192.168.10.200:16200. Providing I have set my router to keep open port range of START= 16200 to END = 16201 and 192.168.10.200? I know there are a ton of variables I am leaving out but, in simple form the key here is Start to End = : to match. Right? Or do they have nothing in common at all?
In other words, what does the ":16200" stand for?

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK <--- sorry bout that

How do you know what port they enter from (16200), and how did you get it to work? I'd like to know, so I could play Diablo II with my girlfriend on tcp/ip over the internet. Please let me know how to make it work. Thanks

Edited by nambinhvu, 13 August 2008 - 06:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users