Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is There Any Way Of Retrieving Important (& Expensive!) Programmes After Formatting The Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 feathers

feathers

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:13 AM

This computer was built for my ex-boyfriend and he gave it to me when we split up.
Unfortunately in those days I knew very little about computers and when it crashed one time and would not reboot I took it to my knowledgeable friend who ended up having to format the drive and reinstall windowsXP (Professional edition) from scratch.

It had some software on it that I wish I had now and so am going to have to purchase again eg. Cubase, Reason and some other software to do with art, design, photography etc.

I know the music programmes are very expensive to buy and my ex doesn't have any of the original CD's (including the windowsXP CD) so I can't reinstall anything if I need to.

Is it at all possible to retrieve programmes after the drive has been formatted?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:37 AM

Even by paying an arm and a leg for professional retrieval services ($1000 or so), the chances that you will retrieve anything but bits and pieces, especially since you have installed files over the originals, is extremely slim. It would be worth your time investigating whether there are not free or open-source applications that will do what the lost ones did.
Sorry,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:04 PM

You might try contacting the software companies. If your licenses are still good for those programs, they may be able to track down your purchase and tell you what your registration codes are, and point you to a download link. Or resend a new program CD for a nominal fee. If they are now into new versions, maybe they would give you a discount to upgrade.

Edited by mommabear, 25 April 2008 - 12:08 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:23 PM

For certain programs, browse our Freeware Replacements for Common Applications
The list is rather long, but there are some good ones listed
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 feathers

feathers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:43 AM

Even by paying an arm and a leg for professional retrieval services ($1000 or so), the chances that you will retrieve anything but bits and pieces, especially since you have installed files over the originals, is extremely slim. It would be worth your time investigating whether there are not free or open-source applications that will do what the lost ones did.
Sorry,
John

Yeah I pretty much thought that might be the case.
Thanks loads for your response though,
Caroline

#6 feathers

feathers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:45 AM

You might try contacting the software companies. If your licenses are still good for those programs, they may be able to track down your purchase and tell you what your registration codes are, and point you to a download link. Or resend a new program CD for a nominal fee. If they are now into new versions, maybe they would give you a discount to upgrade.

Actually I'd not thought of doing that (doh!), that's a great idea, cheers!
Caroline

For certain programs, browse our Freeware Replacements for Common Applications
The list is rather long, but there are some good ones listed

This is a fantastic list!
I've already downloaded a fair few programmes from it, thanks loads for great information :thumbsup:
Caroline

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:16 AM

I might add here that if you have paid applications that are not covered in the Replacement thread, you might give our Members a list---there is a chance that someone may have found a free alternative and not posted about it. I am glad to hear you found replacements for some of those lost applications already.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users