Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ontrack Ddo And Ez Bios Conflict Boot Problem After Hd Format

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 notb4coffee

notb4coffee

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:30 AM

This is WAY over my head at this point. I'm hoping someone can help.
Unfortunaely, I'm living proof that a little knowledge can be dangerous.
:-(

I had 2 WD hard drives installed and working well on my very old machine (Packard Bell Legend 415--it's okay to laugh), then I tried to install and format a third WD drive (removed from another system) as a secondary slave with a WD Data Lifeguard floppy and inadvertantly installed EZ Bios (as recommended!) over an existing Ontrack Dynamic Drive Overlay.

My C Drive has Win ME installed and is an 80GB, with a CD drive as a slave.
D drive is a 2.0 GB master on the secondary IDE. The newly added drive is set as a slave on it.
All booted normally upon the first re-start after connecting drive E for the first time, but I decided to reformat E with the Data Lifeguard Tools and, during that process, accidently took the program's advice and said "yes" to installing EZ Bios.

Immediately upon rebooting, once the EZ BIOS started loading, an error appeared that said "no operating system installed". All drives were recognized before this point during the boot process, no bios settings were changed by me. I noticed this time though that the Ontrack blue screen did not appear (since it had been removed by EZ Bios, I suppose).

I realized what I had done and remembered that the Data Lifeguard floppy had a "Remove EZ Bios" command, so I rebooted and did just that to all 3 drives.
Once that was done, I re-loaded Ontrack DDO from a floppy with a newer version of Data Lifeguard and now my computer just continuously loops through the "starting ontrack" phase of the boot process and never gets to the point of loading Windows. I can either press the spacebar to boot from a floppy or boot from a CD, but that's it. (Or, I guess I could just forever watch the looping blue Ontrack logo, LOL).

So.....do I have any options now for recovering my C drive data and operating system? I've searched the boards and can't find any similar situations to point me in the right direction.
I've disconnected both the D and E drives and tried to reboot with just the C, but still have the looping.

There's about 12 GB of data on my C drive that I'd like to recover, if possible. I was doing all of this to get ready to upgrade to a newer system and move my C drive anyway, but first I wanted to copy the OS to the added/extra hard drive, then make it the new C drive, so that I could still use the system offline or keep it running for my kids. Now I don't even know if I will ever be able to access the disk at all.

Any help (and prayers!) would be GREATLY appreciated!

Mary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:47 AM

Well...I've always read that drive overlay software use...is fraught with possible problems that users generally don't make themselves aware of or just ignore, http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref...os/overDDO.html

IMO, drive overlays have not been truly needed (in XP/Windows) since SP1 (which overcame the 137GB thing).

I think that recovery software is your only hope of recovering any data files you cannot now access...but, I don't know for sure. If there are forums/FAQs for the software in question...that seems a good place to start searching for answers.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 April 2008 - 08:51 AM.

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:52 AM

Well, TBH i haven't looked up EZbios but i would try to install the OS on the new drive like you intended(I think) And boot from it. May have to detatch the other drives to get it to work, but i wouldn't think you would have to. If EZbios is an actual BIOS then its just over my head. I can set settings in BIOS but that's about as far as i'm willing to go lol

#4 notb4coffee

notb4coffee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for the tips. I did try Kroll's (ontrack) site, but there's nothing helpful there.
The only thing I could find on WD's site is how to remove the DDO or EZ Bios, which I've already done.

I went ahead and put the C drive into another machine (IBM Netvista) running WIN ME and windows doesn't see it. The System Information lists it, though. Says it has a 7.4X partition, but shows 79 GB capacity. Don't know how that happened, as I didn't mess with this drive at all in the old machine; it was one large 80GB partition from the day I installed it. I'm guessing the damage was done by the EZ Bios or Ontrack programs when I tried to format the extra new E drive I was adding. Anyway, it doesn't have a "valid" partition according to my machine that I took it off of.

Is there a way to create whatever it's needing/looking for in order to boot without losing the data on the drive? Perhaps in only the free space on the drive? I'm trying to read up on exactly what the EZ Bios and Ontrack programs do, but am getting confused with all of it.
Since Windows doesn't see it in the other machine, I can't use my recovery software to get to the data.

The drive is back in the original machine and no longer has the DDO on it. Upon booting, I get the "error loading OS" message after the POST. I have no idea where to go from here. I have another machine with XP on it that I could try it in, but I'm grasping at straws. I know most of my data is still on the drive, but I'm out of ideas as to how to get to it.

Mary

~Adequately caffeinated for your safety~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users