Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ran Kaspersky Scan & It Found 2 Viruses Mcafee Didn't

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 suzeser

suzeser

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:45 AM

I ran the Kaspersky scan and it found 2 viruses. I had previously ran mcafee & it didn't catch these. Here is the report it created:

I'm not sure what my next steps should be, don 77 helped me before & we thought we got everything, but it looks like its either back or never went away!
Back on April 8th I updated Java and cleared the cache per his instructions.. I also created a restore point. I make sure all my software/hardware is updated. I also downloaded Hostman. I did have the smitfraud virus which precipitated all the above steps. I also regulary run Spybot Search/Destroy & Spyware Blaster. Neither found anything.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\MNA\NAData Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\MPF\data\log.edb Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\MPF\data\tempIpRules.xdb Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\MSC\McUsers.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\VirusScan\Data\TFR7.tmp Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\VirusScan\Logs\OAS.Log Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\eHome\logs\ehRecvr.log Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\22\10453ed6-49afd9eb/vmain.class Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.b skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\22\10453ed6-49afd9eb ZIP: infected - 1 skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\49\49820371-5abfb9db/vmain.class Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.b skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\49\49820371-5abfb9db ZIP: infected - 1 skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\jvmimpro.jar-3ad601a5-52596146.zip/vmain.class Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.b skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\jvmimpro.jar-3ad601a5-52596146.zip ZIP: infected - 1 skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\jvmimpro.jar-5efd1945-15461c9c.zip/vmain.class Infected: Exploit.Java.Gimsh.b skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\jvmimpro.jar-5efd1945-15461c9c.zip ZIP: infected - 1 skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\Perflib_Perfdata_760.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\~DF9328.tmp Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\ntuser.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Program Files\Online Services\PeoplePC\ISP5900\Branding\ppal3ppc.exe/data0004 Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Agent.aeh skipped

C:\Program Files\Online Services\PeoplePC\ISP5900\Branding\ppal3ppc.exe NSIS: infected - 1 skipped

C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\logs\billing_HP_Administrator.log Object is locked skipped

C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\logs\client_HP_Administrator.log Object is locked skipped

C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\logs\network_HP_Administrator.log Object is locked skipped

C:\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase Object is locked skipped

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{106CF321-99A3-4E3A-9103-1BD027606A99}\RP415\change.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Debug\PASSWD.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Registration\{02D4B3F1-FD88-11D1-960D-00805FC79235}.{BA0DE193-34C6-413B-88A2-11BC4E3731AE}.crmlog Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\SchedLgU.Txt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Sti_Trace.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\AppEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Internet.evt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Media Ce.evt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SecEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SysEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\h323log.txt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.BTR Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.MAP Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING.VER Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING1.MAP Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING2.MAP Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.DATA Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.MAP Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Temp\mcafee_LRq8af89kdoAw9W Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Temp\mcmsc_uFXUeDkUAYXSwwL Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\wiadebug.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\wiaservc.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log Object is locked skipped

Scan process completed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:11 AM

You need to clear your Java cache again. Follow the instructions here.

Get a second opinion on those files related to PeoplePC. Go to jotti's virusscan or virustotal.com. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
-- Post back with the results of the file analysis.

PeoplePC is an Adware supported ISP program and it is not unusually for anti-virus programs to target some of its files as malware. If this is your primary ISP, then removing the file may affect the functionality of the program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 suzeser

suzeser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:42 AM

I don't get the option to remove all applelets & applications when I go to delete files in java. The only option it gives it to remove trace logs. I clicked to make sure I have the most recent version of java & it says I do. So, I can't remove the files. Any other ideas?

Also, PeoplePC is not my ISP, so I'll go remove the files.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:50 AM

Is the option greyed out or not showing at all?

Edited by quietman7, 25 April 2008 - 09:51 AM.

#5 suzeser

suzeser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:53 AM

Ok, ran the atf cleaner & it said everything was emptied. Should I run Kaspersky again to make sure all is gone?

Oh, the options weren't listed at all.

Edited by suzeser, 25 April 2008 - 09:54 AM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:03 AM

Didn't realize the instructions had changed a bit for new versions.

There are now only two options available when you click "Delete Files" at the bottom.
Applications and Applets
Trace and Log Files

#7 suzeser

suzeser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:05 AM

Yes, that's right. The only option I was given was the trace & log files. The other option was in Gray (apps & applets)

Should I run Kasperksy or another scan again?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:13 AM

Can't hurt to run another scan.

#9 suzeser

suzeser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:22 AM

ok, didn't know if it would make a difference or not.

Thanks for the help!

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:41 AM

You're welcome.