Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean Install No Harddrive Recognized

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Shawn89

Shawn89

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:05 PM

Im not sure if this should be in the XP forum or the hardware forum but i figured this was a good place to start and if not someone could point me in the right direction, im trying to do a clean install of XP pro on My HP M7463W, but at the select the harddrive/partition screen, my HD doesnt show up and i know its a SATA hd, but i cant seem to find the drivers to go with that so that i can slipstream them into the XP install disc and run the install smoothly, could anyone help me out? I think the relevant information is My HD is a 300gb western digital, WDC WD3000JS-60PD80, my processor is a Pentium D 930 3ghz, Intel Lakeport i945P, Intel 82801GB ICH7..If any more information is needed id be glad to provide it. Thanks in advance for your help. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 digitmann

digitmann

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:22 PM

Can you run us through the steps you have taken thus far?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:49 PM

Guess I don't know why you say you cannot find SATA drivers...who makes your motherboard or system (and what is the model)?

The drivers should be available at that respective website.

The info you provided is good, but it's not what we need to find the drivers :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 Shawn89

Shawn89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:25 PM

hey thanks guys i was looking in the wrong place and now i was able to do a clean install with almost everything solved in my device manager i have 3 device driver problems. I installed all the windows updates which did most of the other drivers and installed the ones on HP's website. The three im having problems with are the Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Controller and an Unknown device. I cant fingure out what the unknown one is. Could the multimedia controller be my tv tuner card that came with the pc since my graphics card is working fine, and do i need the ethernet controller if i already am connected through ethernet to the internet. My computer is a HP media center M7463W could anyone help me figure put what these last 3 issues are and how to solve them/tell me how to find the drivers. THanks for the help earlier guys and thanks for any future help

#5 castufari

castufari

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:01 AM

Go to: http://tinyurl.com/6 If that doesn't work to go to www.hp.com then click on "support and drivers", click "download drivers and software" Enter M7463W then click the little >>.

GO through there and grab what you're missing, including the chipset drivers. I usually install everything related to hardware.

#6 digitmann

digitmann

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:34 AM

Hey Shawn, good to see. I guess you are lucky to be connected since you ether card has issues. Try this.
1. open Device Manager
2. Lft-click on the + in front of the device with the apostrophe
3. Rt-click on the device listed
4. Lft-click on Update driver
5. check "yes this time only" and follow the prompts.
If that doesn't get you anywhere, try http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...n-Devices.shtml .
:thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:32 AM

...and, yes, the multimedia controller should be for your capture capability...if all else is working.

When in doubt, one of the easiest mechanisms to get drivers properly installed...is to just use your drivers CD autoinstall feature (if it has one) and let it install whatever it determines needs a driver.

I guess that I don't understand your ethernet controller situation...unless you have one of those modems which is also USB-capable or you have a duplicate entry in Device Manager....or you have two NICs on the system :thumbsup:. DSL users commonly have two NICs.

Louis

#8 Shawn89

Shawn89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:50 AM

thanks for everything guys, digitmann that download helped me figure everything out. For future reference just in case anyone else has the same problem he multimedia controller did end up being my tuner card, the ethernet didnt end up being ethernet it was for wireless on my desktop which i forgot was included in the system and the unkown one was Away Mode for Media Center Edition PC's. But again thanks for all the help, guys and the quick responses. Problem Solved :thumbsup:

#9 jonbouy

jonbouy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:36 AM

can someone plz tell me how you got the initial problem fixed i have looked hi andlow and cant find the driver to make xp "see" the sata hdds?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:13 AM

SATA drivers are ususually included in the chipset drivers provided by the motherboard manufacturer (if system is custom/self-built) or by the system manufacturer (Dell, HP, eMachines, etc.).

On some systems today...you don't need to install the SATA driver for XP...it depends on the motherboard and how it's set up.

Rather than tag onto to this old post, I suggest that you start a new post and provide pertinent (system manufacturer and model or motherboard manufacturer and model) info about your situation...what you are trying to do...and what you have done thus far.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users