Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hung Processes Can't Be Killed, Failure To Download From Internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Secret-HQ

Secret-HQ

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:38 PM

Lately I've been experiencing problems with persistent programs on one PC after a while, they fail to download/display content from the internet, and hang up. The EXEs remain in memory and can't be killed, and Windows Logoff/Shutdown often fail.

The affected apps are Maxthon.exe (Maxthon 2.0.9.1640) and Azureus.exe (Azureus/Vuze 3.0.5.2), though I don't suspect them of having internal errors. That exact version of Maxthon (synched across multiple computers) runs on other machines with no problem, and the Azureus install was restored from another machine (although it has autoupdated a few times since.)

I've been Googling around and searching the forums, but I have yet to find any definitive cause. If anyone has brilliant ideas or things I can investigate, please share. :flowers:

The machine in question runs WinXP Home SP2, 2.8GHz processor with 1GB of RAM. Antivirus is PC Tools' Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus (v5.5.0.178).

Here are my troubleshooting notes:

SYMPTOMS

Sometimes Maxthon and Azureus have problems accessing the internet when both are run simulataneously and not because of bandwidth congestion. I'll be able to ping web sites from the command line, but I can't pull up sites in Maxthon the browser just spins, rarely even giving a 404 message.

Azureus will eventually stop downloading, as well, even if Maxthon isn't running. This usually takes a couple of hours, but sometimes it's quicker. Once active downloads have stopped, Azureus.exe typically remains in memory, resisting all attempts to kill it with Task Manager, SysInternals Process Explorer, or APT Advanced Process Termination.

On some occasions, I've been able to launch a second Azureus.exe process, which is able to download and upload as though the first process didn't exist. (!) At other times, I get an error message when the second Azureus launches, warning me that an application is already listening on the Azureus port. (I should've verified that it was the correct port, but I didn't think to check.)

Like Azureus, once Maxthon has started failing to load web pages, it will close but not disappear from running processes. Again, I can sometimes launch a second Maxthon process which runs side-by-side with the hung process without problems (and sometimes I do this unknowingly, having closed the first one for not responding and launced a second instance).

The longer these processes run, the more likely that a Windows Logoff or Shutdown will fail. I often have to force shutdown by powering down the machine.

CAUSES (possible) & TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS TAKEN

Spyware Doctor hadn't detected any problems, but a TrendMicro Housecall scan on 2008-04-22 turned up Java_ByteVer.A, Java_ByteVer.C, Java_ByteVer.S, and Java_ByteVer.AQ, as well as TROJ_GENERIC, all of which reported as successfully cleaned (in Safe Mode with Networking). I disabled System Restore after cleaning and before reboot (still in Safe Mode). A subsequent scan with Spyware Doctor (in Normal Mode) then detected (and cleaned) Adware.PodcastbarMini.

Housecall recommended this link with Microsoft Java Virtual Machine (JVM) patch details:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/MS03-011.mspx

Checking for a JVM via command prompt Jview turned up nothing installed. (?) Just to be safe, I uninstalled Java using Add/Remove Programs and although I have yet to reinstall it the JRE, Azureus is working fine in testing. (??) (Confirmed the absence of JRE at Sun's Java test web site.)

Azureus locked up twice during testing on 2008-04-23, but once was after leaving it running overnight, and the entire PC seemed be locked up; the other time was in the evening, when I couldn't kill the task although Maxthon ran successfully for a while afterward, and Windows had no problems shutting down.

I've also run HijackThis but found nothing especially suspicious, other than a few unusued (but perfectly legit) Roxio entries, the PrismXL deployment service remnant known to exist on eMachines/Gateways, and Viewpoint Media Player (grayware that comes with AOL Instant Messenger).

My registry had been tweaked to allow more than two simultaneous connections per server, but this is the case on other PCs that don't experience problems. (None of the others have Azureus installed, however.) Just to be safe, I reset the max connections to 2 (Microsoft's default).

-----------

Any brilliant ideas, insights, or similar symptoms welcomed! :thumbsup:

Edited by Secret-HQ, 24 April 2008 - 02:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:36 PM

I'm going to move this to our internet and web browser forum to get some more eyes looking at it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Secret-HQ

Secret-HQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:57 PM

The move is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mark!

(With so many factors at play, I wasn't sure where to post almost went to the malware forum, but I decided to go generic.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users