Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg 8.0 Free Now Available

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:43 AM

This turned up in my feeds and I thought I would post it since you guys are talking about it. The only AVG product I still use is AVG Anti Spyware. It appears Grisoft is planning to turn all their products into paid products and generally that means the free version will be less effective. This strategy has been in the works for several years. AVG is another product that used to be good but isn't anymore. So I expect that I'll ditch AVG AS and replace it with something else.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:02 PM

AVG Anti-Virus Free User Manual
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

FYI: Please see this thread.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 -Cloud

-Cloud

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:37 AM

just a side question if anyone can answer, i just want someone to clarify, if i updated the AVG from the program it self do i still need to go to this link: http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-update....... and download these particular updates for the software?? or would it be already included in the update i did from the user interface, and if so can i check the logs or something??

Thanks

I just installed the free edition of AVG today, so im getting around it :thumbsup:

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:47 AM

if you notice
this link shows a screan shot
http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-update-7

of how to update avg antivirus from within the avg program so why go to the avg site too ?

and I hope this thread is NOT right that AVG products ARE to be 'paid' for in the future?

#6 -Cloud

-Cloud

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:56 AM

if you notice

of how to update avg antivirus from within the avg program so why go to the avg site too ?

and I hope this thread is NOT right that AVG products ARE to be 'paid' for in the future?

no you didnt fully understand what i was asking, i asked do i need to still download updates on the page even so i have done it already on the program already, are they different or something, just would like to clarify thats all

Edited by -Cloud, 26 April 2008 - 08:57 AM.

#7 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:28 AM

if you notice

That's the direction they're going in. The company name is changing from Grisoft to AVG. They have announced that AVG Anti Spyware will no longer be available as a stand alone product and will only be bundled with AVG Anti Virus. Though not announced yet, it looks like their plan is to offer all their products as a paid security suite a la Norton & McAfee. Logically, they want people to pay despite the fact that AVG has been available for free for years. Grisoft has been headed in this direction for several years and their acquistion of LinkScanner gives them a security suite that they feel can be competitive with the established brands. So I would not be surprised to see tham pull the trigger on this for Jan. 2009. Maybe they'll change their minds but I'm already looking for a replacement for AVG Anti Spyware. Their products aren't as good as they used to be anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users