Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Step By Step

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JustaBeginner

JustaBeginner

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:30 AM

I have ordered all the components necessary to assemble my new computer. When they arrive I will have a pile of hardware on the kitchen table, with no idea where to start.

Is there a good article or tutorial on the correct process for assembling a PC from the case up? What goes in first? What should be connected to what before something else is added? When to push the ON button? How to set up BIOS and CMOS?

Sorry to sound so anal but, with this kind of investment, I do not want to screw it up!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:01 AM

Perhaps this will help?
http://www.daileyint.com/build/
I did a quick google, and there are about 10,000 other sites with pictures also that can help you.

You should not have to do anything with the Bios or the CMOS. At least, on the couple dozen or so computers that I have built, I never have.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:17 AM

I like to download and read the manual for the motherboard, especially the bios part while I am waiting for the parts to arrive.

In the past I have ordered some openbox motherboards and found that almost all were fine but people just didn't know how to set the bios up right, this usually is only a problem with deluxe overclocker boards

Most entry or mid level boards are pretty much plug and play nowdays

I find reading the comments at newegg on a motherboard to be one of the essential sources to head off problems
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:22 PM

Just type into yahoo or google "how to build a PC" or "how to build a computer" and there are many articles that have step by step instructions. Also type the same search into youtube and there will be alot of videos on the subject also.

The first thing you going to do is make sure your grounded with a ground strap that hooks to your wrist.

Second you going to find the correct holes in the case that line up with the holes in the motherboard

Once you find the correct holes you need to screw the motherboard stand offs in

Next thing you should do is install the CPU into the motherboard and apply thermal grease and then install the CPU heatsink/fan because most of the time this needs to be installed before the motherboard is in the case.

After that is done then install the motherboard and follow the directions on the web. It doesnt really matter what order you go in whether you install the RAM and then the graphics card or you install the graphics card and then the RAM. Just make sure you install everything correctly and make sure everything is connected to its correct place. Also take your time an dont rush through it.

After everything is installed double check your connections again.

After that if everything is installed correctly then you should be able to turn on the computer and hopefully it will POST.

IF it does POST you should hear 1 BEEP then you will see a black screen with a bunch of writing on it and it will stop there because there is no opperating system.

If it doent POST then normally you will hear a series of BEEPS which means something is installed incorrectly.

IF so turn it off and chech connections again.

If you get far enough for it to POST then i or someone else will go over setting up Bios with you.

If you can please post all the components of you computer with links to websites this will make it easier for us to help you

Edited by Lucky23, 24 April 2008 - 04:31 PM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users