Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware: Privacy_danger I Cant Change My Desktop Wallpeper

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 montana111

montana111

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:56 PM

ok, so about a week ago a i got an anoying virus from what i can tell is called "privacy_danger". Ever since i removed it i can no longer change my desktop background. the image i had there previously shows up when log on and log off of my account but it is replaced with a white backdrop as soon as my desktop loads up. When i right click and go to properties i get only a "general" tab. her is the info it gives :

Protocol: file protocol
type: firefox document
connection: not encrypted
address: file://C:\\WINDOWS\privacy_danger\index.htm (URL)
size: not avail
created: not avail
modified: not avail
::: has not certificates:::

originally, when the virus was still on the computer there was a big red picture on my desktop that the virus put there with a big scary looking biohazard-ish warning sign. Every time i clicked the desktop it linked to a webpage and initiated the infection sequence again (just those websites trying to get you to buy anti malware/virus protection software). but now its just a white blank desktop. I cannot remove the white. It appears that the entire background of my desktop is a link that doesnt work anymore.

ALso, when i mouse over the white desktop background it turns gray.
ANother thing: when trying to find a solution to this problem i ended up checking the registry in location Hkey current user/software/microsoft/windows/current version/policies/system but there were only two registry entries there. One was what i assume the virus put in my registry and it basically made it so i could not open the task manager (ive since fixed this one) and the other is this:

name: (default)
type: REG_SZ
data: (value not set)

supposedly there are supposed to be a bunch of other registry entries here for me to play with but i dont know where they went. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me! thank you so so so much in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:20 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/98801/how-to-remove-privacy-protector-or-privacyprotector-removal-instructions/
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users