Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Shutdown During Conversion Using Any Converter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ech33

ech33

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:04 PM

Hi, i`ve been having this problem for some time and it`s very puzzling. i`m using win xp home edition, and every time when i would like to convert a file to vcd or dvd using either convertxtodvd, winavi or tmpgenc, the system will shutdown by itself either 5 or 10 mins later withot any prior warning.

at times, it`s ok and running smoothly and finished the conversion but that`s once in 100 times of trying. at times, it`s also shutdown while playing java based games.

i`ve unchecked the automatically restart button on the my computer-advanced panel. and i also run event viewer. from what i can see, the error stated is

APPLICATION - TYPE ERROR SOURCE PERFNET
SYSTEM - TYPE ERROR SOURCE SERVICE CONTROL MANAGER

can someone assist me with this problem. thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:02 PM

Hello.

I don't think the errors and the shutdowns are related. If you could copy the whole error code, we could better find the cause.

Have you cleaned out the dust from the inside of your computer lately? I suspect overheating is the cause.

With Regards,
The Panda

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:07 PM

Take a look: http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=66685

Perhaps one of the programs you mentioned...uses this tool.

Louis

#4 ech33

ech33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:10 PM

well, i may think its bcoz of dust due to the fact i have not clean the back for sometime. so, dust could be a factor in terms of overheating and shutdown, is it? i`ll try that and let u know, thanx

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:17 PM

See the following Bleeping Computer tutorial for cleaning inside your PC.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:09 PM

Barring any other system problems, my vote goes for dirt causing your computer to over heat. Windows will shutdown to protect itself and your computer from damage.

Also.... converting videos is CPU intensive. You shouldn't be doing a lot of other things on your computer when you do that. No browsing, emails, game playing, etc. I even turn off my screen saver and just turn off my monitor. I'll go back from time to time and turn it on to check my progress. Then I turn it off again.

Your system may be able to handle doing other things, but having the conversion running in the background may make it take longer. Plus, it increases the chances of errors in the conversion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users