Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Hard Drive Space

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thisnewdell

thisnewdell

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:56 PM

I've noticed a constant depletion of my hard drive space on my new inspiron 530 running vista premium. I'm using Media center to record then burn to dvd and lastly delete the recorded dvr-ms files. Works great, problem is, I'm not recovering all my hard drive space.

Last night I recorded about 1 hr of tv or about 6 gigs. I then burned it to dvd and then deleted it from media center (recorded tv) file. This process caused a drop of 6 gigs! I've deleted temp folder in system, deleted prefetch, and tried disc cleanup utility. I still cannot account for the missing space.

I've noticed this before and thought "no prob, it'll fix itself or reappear after restart", nope.

Is there some hidden file folder in Vista that stores these temp files??

Edited by thisnewdell, 23 April 2008 - 10:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thisnewdell

thisnewdell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:51 AM

Ok, for anyone who's had this issue... Vista Service pack 1 fixed it. My computer regained over 60 GB. Was this OS even tested before its release?? I feel like a ginnie pig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users