Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back-up Image

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 djd1

djd1

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:28 PM

Hello,
I'm an upstart computer user and as such am unfamiliar with much of the language used. Can anyone out there explain to me, in simple language, the difference between utilities such as BartPE and Norton ghost? I have gone to the websites but the explanation leaves me confused. What I want to know is: under what circumstances would I use them and if I had, say bartpe would I need norton ghost. What circumstances would exist where I would need one or the other and what is the difference? Thanks to anyone who can break this down in easy to understand language.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:41 PM

BartPE is basically an operating system that lives on a CD. So, if you have a major problem with your computer and Windows XP would no longer boot, you could whack in your BartPE CD and boot your computer with that. The BartPE gives you a "complete Win32 environment with network support, a graphical user interface (800x600) and FAT/NTFS/CDFS filesystem support. Very handy for burn-in testing systems with no OS, rescuing files to a network share, virus scan and so on."

Norton Ghost is a backup program that will make a complete backup of your hard drive (including Windows XP). So if you accidentally delete some files or totally hose your installation of XP you can return your system back to how it was at the time you made the backup.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 djd1

djd1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:14 AM

Thanks so much Budapest, that helps a great deal. Sometimes the verbage they use on the web is impossible to understand for those like me with little experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users