Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advancedwindowscare-remove?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Karlie

Karlie

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

Have had several problems with this machine as of late. AVG found a virus, I think I got rid of that, Have also Spybot S&D,
Ad-Aware, and Spyware blaster. Windows firewall. I also, some time ago, installed this Advanced WindowsCare2. In an attempt to speed up this old machine, I tried to run the AdvancedWC yesterday and it will not allow the Scan button to be depressed. Thinking the thing has outlived its usefulness, I tried to uninstall it. As I hit remove, I get the long message that it cannot be removed because it is not there. The line still appears on the Add/Remove list of programs.

It is bothering me that it will not uninstall, the Icon is still on my desktop and won't go away.

I did a foolish thing last week and downloaded the new version, not realising it was Beta. Maybe there is some kind of a thing going on and it won't allow uninstall.

I did a system restore to a few days ago. I am a computer dummy and can't figure out what to do. I was told to run CCleaner but I never know that I'm looking at. Even if that would help, I had a problem with it once before when I allowed it to fix. Don't remember what it was but something didn't work so I never did that again.
I guess my greatest fear is that I have some kind of malware to trojan and I don't even know what to look for or how to correct it. Any help for a beginner? Suggestions?
HP Pavilion 526X
Windows XP2
IE6
512 Ram
I hardly use this machine except for a few letters and Internet. Have cable connection.
I am 100% sure something lurks behind the scenes here.

Edited by Karlie, 23 April 2008 - 05:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:30 PM

Go to Start> All applications and find the program and place you cursor over it and see if it offers an uninstall option there. If not, use the search files and folders function to locate the program's folder. Open it and look for an uninstaller. You can also try uninstalling it in safemode
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Karlie

Karlie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:38 PM

Thank you so much for your help. I had to go to Search Files & Folders and I found a ton of stuff from Iobit. I typed in WindowsCare first in search files & Folders and nothing much came up so I typed in Obit. Must have been 20 or 30 more items relating to Iobit and the last one was the Iobit folder. Through that, I was able to uninstall. Then to Control Panel. When I tried to remove the listing there, this time it said it was removed and did I want to remove the listing(or some such phrase) from the list of programs. Well, I think that is why I hit remove in the first place. You are all great, I appreciate the help, especially since I don't know what I am doing.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:59 PM

You're quite welcome :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users