Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limiting Users

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dubritski

dubritski

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:33 PM

hey guys,

anyone got an idea how to limit a user or user group to only be allowed to acces a certain few websites, and everything else i denied ?
i know most parental control settins work the other way around where u can access all websites exect a few that are denied.

But i am building a computer for a customer and this computer is going to be in a auto mechanic shop, and the owner dont wnt the guys to goof off on the computers surfing the web, so h wants donloads and mostly everything on the web blocked ..

anyone got an idea on how to do that
with windows or 3rd party ? (Windows xp pro sp2)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:46 PM

You might want to give the Shared Computer Toolkit from Microsoft a look. I'm not 100% sure but I believe it has the functionality you're looking for, among many other tools for locking down a PC.

Another option I found is iNet Protector. It's not free, and I've never used it, but the description seems to match what you're looking for to a tee.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 23 April 2008 - 04:48 PM.

#3 dubritski

dubritski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:06 PM

Cool.
Thank you very much
I will have a look at those links, see what i can do :thumbsup:

thanx again

#4 dubritski

dubritski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:10 PM

oh i tried the microsoft link, and the toolkit was a beta program, but i found a link to the upgrade which is called Steadystate. so i will try messing around with that tomorrow !!

thanx again !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users