Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall Or Remove External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:13 PM

I want to remove my external hard drive from my desktop. I had backed up files from my old pc in order to use them on this pc, but I get the message that the software in question is not set to work with this profile. (yippee microsoft. the ex took the disks.)

So, now that this pc is accustomed to having the external hard drive, how do I remove it? When I simply unplug the USB port, I constantly get the error message that G:/ drive cannot be found or is an invalid drive. (For instance, I attempted to remove NetGear using the add/remove software, but it won't uninstall because G:/ drive is invalid. Removing the NetGear is another problem since the card is defective but NetGear won't replace it.) So, I plugged the external hard drive back into the USB port and removed the NetGear software.

I unplugged it again, but if I try to run a program that I know is on this pc and not the external hard drive, I receive the same error message.

Do I have to go through each program and check for any reference to the G:/ drive and change it? Or is there a simpler way?

Thank you.

Cass

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:04 PM

Well...I don't think your situation is typical and I don't have a cure :thumbsup:.

Back in the days when I used an external/USB drive, I routinely moved it from System A to System B without problems and without paying attention to the "safely remove hardware" icons.

I merely turned it off and moved it. When not connected and on, the drive disappears from My Computer/Disk Management.

When reattached to either system, it went through normal USB-device attachment procedures.

Have you checked Event Viewer for clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

I don't understand any of those words mentioning "netgear" and "add/remove programs". If you are talking about a router, access point, or NIC...those should be removed from Device Manager, not A/RP.

Louis

#3 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:28 PM

Actually, to uninstall a NetGear NIC, one has to us A/RP. The software and drivers must be uninstalled before removing the card.

I've turned off and removed the external hard drive prior to boot. No matter what I proceed to do after it is booted, I get the message that G: is invalid.

So, that's where I still stand.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:08 PM

Hmmm...I've always uninstalled NICs via Device Manager (that's where the drivers are accessed).

If the hardware has any ancillary software, I worry about that later :thumbsup:, it won't do the system any harm if it's only software. The drivers definitely need to be removed.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-...tml?tag=nl.e101

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 May 2008 - 02:10 PM.

#5 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:07 AM

open your winkey+r and type cmd press enter

at cmd, type path press enter

does g:\ come back in path??

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 22 May 2008 - 08:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users