Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Configuration Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Cass

Jerry Cass

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:54 PM

Hello.
I have a problem that has probably been addressed here, but I just can't find anything that actually works, so I figure that it's just something simple that I have missed.
I need to change out an old hard drive on a Compaq Presario, W2K Pro (SP4) desktop.
I connect to the internet through dialup at this time, so the wireless router, WRT54G2 V2 Linksys, is not connected to any modem.
I purchased the router a couple of days ago, along with a Toshiba laptop.
The Toshiba has 2GB memory and an AMD Turion 64 processor.
It is running Vista with the SP1 added.
I had the geeks at the store where I purchased these put WPA2 encryption on the router.
So, I have a laptop connected wirelessly to the router, and I have a desktop connected by cable to the router.
I can use either to access the router, by typing its IP address into the IE7 (Vista) and IE6 (W2K Pro) address bars.
So, both are connecting to the router, and the connection is shown onscreen, in the taskbars.
Here is where I am having difficulties:
The two machines cannot see each other.
A search for "Computers Near Me" reveals local machine only.
I'm really only interested in the laptop seeing and accessing some of the desktop's saved web pages...with lo-o-o-o-ng filenames...too many to access, re-save with short names, and burn on CD, as well as some family photos, etc.
I've read a lot and tried a few methods, but there is always a dead end.
First, everyone seems to write about 2K and XP being a lot the same, but they end up using only XP references, like "Network Neighborhood" as opposed to "My Network Places", and veering off to XP procedures, looking at things from an XP perspective.
I need step-by-step, dedicated, W2K Pro (SP4) directions and references.
Then there is the W2K MS, page that says to set permissions before sharing a folder.
Simple.
Create a folder and click on its properties, click on the "Security" tab, and set permissions and passwords.
One problem: there is no "Security" tab in the folder properties dialog/splash.
There are two tabs: General and Sharing.
I have to map a network drive, also, and I can't remember precisely how to do it.
Four years ago, at a store where I was running the Parts Department, I kept a network of 8 computers, with DSL Internet access, running (variously) 98, ME, 2K, Thiz Linux, and XP up and running and online with few problems, and none that I couldn't handle.
I can't believe how much I have forgotten over the past four years!
I would really appreciate any help on this problem.
Like I said, I think that I just need to calm down and, step-by-step, put the filesharing and network drive mapping together into a workable Networking environment.
BTW, both computers are in the "WORKGROUP" workgroup.
(No DNS mentioned in "ipconfig".)
PS: I'll really need to address Vista's "ipconfig", goofy-looking IP addresses, in another post.
They look like registry entries, don't they?
Thanks,
Jerry.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rf6647

rf6647

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:42 PM

NLA - Network Location Awareness is a service within XP.

I believe this service is part of file sharing. Computer XPhome has access to files on computer XPpro. I attempted to isolate the events in the Events Log for Security & System on both machines, but I did not find the conclusive evidence that I was looking for. Both security logs contained logon entries from the other machine and 'LtNmSsp' was the related process (event id 540 & 680).

It was not necessary to put both machines in the same workgroup. The share was authorized to the computername.

#3 Jerry Cass

Jerry Cass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:47 PM

Thanks, rf6647, for that information.
I resolved the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users