Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use Your Computer To Save The World

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:53 AM

Many people already know about BOINC, a free program from UC Berkely which allows users to donate their unused computer power to solving some of the worlds Big Problems.

There are many different projects available to join such as FightAIDS@home which tries to find new medicines to fight HIV and AIDS, several projects doing protein folding (which may lead to cures for many different diseases), LHC@home which seeks to help the scientists at the Large Hadron Collider, and (the larges and oldest project) SETI@home which analyzes radio-observatory data in search of transmissions from Extra-Terrestrial Intelligent Lifeforms (aliens, that is).

You can download BOINC for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux based computers at http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ .

Many projects allow you to join teams, or create your own. There's even a BleepingComputer.com team on some projects!

So, why not do a little something to help the world while you're working/playing/surfing with your computer?

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 23 April 2008 - 10:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Thelastleap

Thelastleap

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:19 PM

O you guys want to help out the world well this website rihgt here http://www.freerice.com/ All you have to do is tell the right defination for a word and they donate 20seed grains for rice for each word you got right check it out its really neat.
Posted Image

Bleeping
Computer ROCKS!!!

Helped me get rid of Rogue software Anti-virus and taught me about virtualization I am grateful. :)

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:15 PM

Oh, yeah; I like that site. It's one of the few sites for which I disable my Adblock Plus (because the ads pay for the rice)

Suffice it to say, there are many ways in which one can improve the world. Everyday, every human being has the opportunity to change things for the better, if only a tiny bit. How often do we forget that and do nothing?

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:31 AM

I think it is more the fact that not many people knwo about the @Home projects or FreeRice etc. I mean, try this if you want; ask someone you see on the street if they knwo about Folding@Home or FightAIDS@Home or FreeRice, I guarantee no one will know what it is :thumbsup: That is where the problem is.

#5 bloodysafety

bloodysafety

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:50 AM

Many people already know about BOINC, a free program from UC Berkely which allows users to donate their unused computer power to solving some of the worlds Big Problems.

There are many different projects available to join such as FightAIDS@home which tries to find new medicines to fight HIV and AIDS, several projects doing protein folding (which may lead to cures for many different diseases), LHC@home which seeks to help the scientists at the Large Hadron Collider, and (the larges and oldest project) SETI@home which analyzes radio-observatory data in search of transmissions from Extra-Terrestrial Intelligent Lifeforms (aliens, that is).

You can download BOINC for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux based computers at http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ .

Many projects allow you to join teams, or create your own. There's even a BleepingComputer.com team on some projects!

So, why not do a little something to help the world while you're working/playing/surfing with your computer?

what effect does this have on the pc? will it slow it down? As far as the aliens go can you listen to what the project is listening to?

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:21 PM

BOINC lets you control when and how the calculations are run, you can set it to only do work while the computer is idle, or all the time. Obviously, while the calculations are running, the program consumes system resources, but you can also set the maximum percentage of system resources it can use. Old computers will noticeably slow while the program's running while newer more powerful machines won't.

As for eavesdropping on interstellar communications, I'm shocked SHOCKED that you would invade the privacy of aliens!! [:D] Some of the projects (including SETI@home include a screensaver which displays the current analysis. Check this out:

Posted Image

#7 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:30 PM

Thanks Thelastleap for the FreeRice site. It looks like an interesting project... I have already managed to donate 300 grains of rice!

#8 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:52 AM

I have donated around 20,000 or so :thumbsup:

(Honestly I have)

#9 DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:40 AM

These are both really cool ideas. I think I'd heard of them before somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users