Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 golfnut64

golfnut64

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:04 AM

Hi to all First time here so hope this works I have an IBM A21m i bought on EBay with windows XP Pro 128 MB with a wireless system At times this thing is fast & then it will slow to nothing It is bad when starting in the AM & then again in the late afternoon any ideas would help I dump files & cookies every day and dump any thing i am not using Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:01 AM

Hi Golfnut, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

If you are running XP on 128MB of RAM I'm not surprised that it is slow. With that little amount of memory some applications could take a long time to execute. Most will agree that XP needs a minimum of 512MB of RAM to start to run properly, 1GB will get it humming along. There may be some applications running that you don't need that can be shut down, but the best and easiest way to speed this up will be to add more RAM.

I just did a quick look and that is an older ThinkPad, it has two expansion slots with a maximum of 256MB per slot of PC133. Module this old are going to be dear in price.

By the way, Crucial wants $49.99 for one 256MB module. :thumbsup:

Edited by dc3, 23 April 2008 - 11:22 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 golfnut64

golfnut64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:13 AM

Thanks dc3 I just orderd a 256 module from Crucial Will see if this does the trick Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users