Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix Is Spyware ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 QTNM

QTNM

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:09 AM

Thanks to this site and reading a ton of threads here, I was able to recover a system yesterday using the ComboFix tool. I thought she was a gonner .... but she came back to life. hah ah!

Anyhoo ... I noticed a Bitdefender message today on our server ( where I originally saved the Combofix file ) that stated this program was a spyware tool ( NIRCMD.B to be exact )

Any reason why Bitdefender would find such a thing ? Did my copy of combo fix get infected ?

Thanks again ... I'm a newbie here .... your doing a great job !

Uneasy,
QT :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 23 April 2008 - 08:43 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:50 PM

Well we know comboFix isn't so since you have used it and are done you should uninstall it.

Go to to Start >> Run
In the dialogue box type
combofix /u
Note: the space between the X and the /u
Press Enter.

Using this command will:
Delete the following:
ComboFix and its associated files and folders.
VundoFix backups, if present
The C:\Deckard folder, if present
The C:_OtMoveIt folder, if present

Also it will:
Reset the clock settings.
Hide file extensions, if required.
Hide System/Hidden files, if required.
Reset System Restore.

Now NIRCMD.B is probably spyware
I would recommend you run another scan
Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
  • Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

Edited by boopme, 25 April 2008 - 08:59 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:28 PM

Certain embedded files that are part of specialized fix tools such as Combofix may at times be detected by some anti-virus/anti-malware scanners as a "RiskTool", "Hacking tool", "Potentially unwanted tool", or even "malware (virus/trojan)" when that is not the case. This occurs for a variety of reasons to include the tool's compiler, the files it uses, registry fixes and malware strings it contains. NirCmd is a command-line utility that allows writing to and deletion of values and keys in the registry.

Such programs have legitimate uses in contexts where an authorized user or administrator has knowingly installed it. These detections do not necessarily mean the file is malware or a bad program. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them. In these cases the detection is a "False Positive".

Please note the message text in blue at the top of this forum.

You should not be using Combofix unless instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

Edited by quietman7, 25 April 2008 - 10:30 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users