Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Access Secure Sites (email, Accounts)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 doublejrocks

doublejrocks

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:05 AM

Virus attacked. I recovered from most of it. Problems still exist:

* IE will not allow me to access email. I can go to ATT.net, but when clicking on "email", it says it cannot display the page.

* Same issue with accessing bank accounts or any secure form online. HIGHLY ANNOYING.

* Cannot even access Microsoft's Support Center page for assistance!

After checking a few forums, I ran all of the "default" levels and enabled the proper outlets to allow me to supposedly get to these sites, rebooted, but it STILL comes back to the same ol' "Cannot Display" notices.

Since the virus, my computer ALWAYS starts with me having to select which version of XP I want to run, and then selecting PROFILE 1. It will not allow me to enter my password to get into Recovery Mode, and to be honest, I'm not sure it's the right password because this is the FIRST timer I've had an issue with this PC since I bought it in 2003!

SP1 - Reinstalled this, and each time upon a restart, the PC will hang in the Windows XP "is starting" mode (with the green moving line) indefinately... sometimes hours. I ALWAYS have to unplug and restart, and then it's back to the same old crap.

Sound on YouTube - Cannot get ANY sound at all from YouTube videos, and this is the only site where this happens. LiveLEak works for me. (Yes... I checked the volume/mute for each video!)

Print Shop - Ran this trusty program for years. Now it CANNOT INITIALIZE any files I bring up, I can't open it at all (it's recognized though), and then when I went to reinstall it.... IT DOESN'T RECOGNIZE MY DRIVER!

Corel WordPerfect - Same deal. CANNOT INITIALIZE. ARGH....

Will NOT let me install MS OFFICE 2003 at all....

I even went to install FIREFOX. Downloaded sucessfully. When I go to run it... NOTHING!

So many issues. Hope the gods can handle this for me. :thumbsup:

Edited by groovicus, 23 April 2008 - 08:44 PM.
Removed email to prevent spambots from harvesting your email.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:07 AM

Did you go through the steps described here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/41067/cant-access-secure-sites/

#3 doublejrocks

doublejrocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:48 AM

Did ALL of that. Still no access to secure sites.

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:59 AM

you may take a look at this one too: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/813444

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:07 PM

If you are sure that the system is not currently infected...I would suggest a repair install of XP, based on the premise that malware may corrupt various system files while on a system. A repair install will take about 30 minutes or so and will leave all programs and data files intact, while replacing all system files.

All critical updates from the period where the CD used was prepared...to the present...will have be reinstalled via WinUpdate, since these will be eliminated when the new system files are incorporated.

Even though your topic indicates one problem, your description seems to indicate various problems with no (apparent) common denominator, other than the fact that they all rely on proper interaction of system and programs.

How Do I Repair My Windows XP Installation - http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_...ndows_xp_in.htm

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users