Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing Q6600 Stock Hsf; Fan

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stevev

stevev

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:18 AM

Just a quick one, My Quad's running a bit hot so i was thinking about replacing the fan on the HFS; not the full HSF, just the fan. Would i just be able to replace the fan if i got another that's the same size ?
I assume i can, but just wanted to check first

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:54 PM

hi,,, you can change the fans on most heatsinks as long as the connection's are the same and size ,,etc,,, but i dont think you would gain much by this,,, if its running hot its running hot,,, have you thought about changeing the stock heatsink all together for a better one,,, there are some good heatsinks out there that mite help your problem,,,, also have you got plenty of ventelation in your machine as it will be sucking warm air onto a hot processor,,,, also a case extractor fan will help with the hot air in your pc,,,,,, good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:10 PM

Also, are you using arctic silver 5 or some other type of thermal paste with silver in it? If you are using the stuff that came with the processor and heatsink already, its usually not very good. My friend had a Pentium D in his build, and he used the paste already on the heatsink. Well, his computer kept overheating in the bios at about 70C . He removed that and put on some new stuff and it dropped to about 29C. I think thermal paste is more important then a more expensive heatsink/fan.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 stevev

stevev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:07 AM

Yep using AS5 seems to have dropped the temps by a few degrees, and I think i'll try adding some case fans to help circulation and see how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users