Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BROWSWER

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 08:21 PM

I read in one of Bleeping Computer's tutorial's that it would be beneficial to change my web browser to cut down on spyware, etc. The browser that was recommended was Mozilla. Is this really a benefit? Can someone tell me how to change my browser?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:42 PM

Here's a couple of Tutorials, that should be helpful:
Enhancing Firefox with Browser Extensions
Switching from Internet Explorer to Firefox

Here's a couple of threads that talk about alternate browsers. They should answer most, if not all, of your questions.

What is the best browser to use?, Is anything better than IEl
Browsers, A pick of 3?
Changing browsers, Should I??
Favorite Firefox Extension

Can someone tell me how to change my browser?

You don't have to "change" your browser.
You can use as many browsers as you want to.

If you still have more questions, please post them here.

Edited by tg1911, 25 March 2005 - 09:48 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 26 March 2005 - 10:15 PM

You can use more than one browser. Your best bet is to make Mozilla your default browser, and only use IE when you visit sites that do not support published web standards (they use MS's special versions). Because alternative browsers do not use ActiveX controls and are NOT part of your operating system, they are inherently safer to use. FF is not only safer, but faster than IE, and by adding the extensions (plug-ins)you need, very tailorable to how you browse the web.
This does not mean that you can delete IE, since it is necessary to the Operating System, and you need it to use MS's update site; and you must continue to keep IE patched.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:33 PM

Hi buddy,how are ya?Good advice there from John,whatever you decide DONT
uninstall Explorer or Outlook,they're the platform for other browsers& mail-servers
anyway & indispensible to the O/S.Easy to switch browsers if you want,there's
alternatives to explorer out there and they're good.Firefox(Mozilla suite) is a big
install @ 9mgs,but you might like it's security features,and extensions.I didn't
but that's a subjective perspective cos I had problems with it.(Hijackers)I didn't
want Mozilla as a home page etc.# out Opera for real fast easy browsing with
keyboard shortcuts&good mail server.Had no problems with it,seems stable&secure
with great graphics & xtra features like tabbed browsing.Install is easy and no
need to change any settings as it Imports all Explorer &Outlook settings,as does
Firefox,everything you have now will still be there,favourites,history &mail.So go for it ! is what I say &enjoy the alternatives.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:39 AM

.... Explorer or Outlook,they're the platform for other browsers& mail-servers anyway ....

Mozilla, Firefox, and Opera, don't rely on IE.
They are totally different browsers.
There are other browsers, that do, depend on IE.
Personally, I think that defeats one of the purposes, of an alternate browser.
To have access to the internet, when IE, won't allow you access.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:47 AM

Opera download @ www.opera.com (shareware ,free download of latest)Opera
works right alongside of Internet Explorer with both available@ click of icon.More
stuff @ Opera Browser(1000K pages) So too with Mozilla(F. FOX) but I noticed
more Resource Conflict between IE/Fox.Reported to Mozilla("aware of & working
on it) Also experienced real problem with Thunderbird & POP a/c (configured 4
AOL & HTML) which others here say is resolved.Shareware versions have adds
which full version don't,but found a fix.Good idea to use pop-up blocker like POW
(@Analog X).Cheers.

#7 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:35 PM

Tutorial came with download C:Documents.?(read first)Next to Opera EXE file.Also should beother stuff there.I think (remember) 13 pages; i read ea &sent1x1 to docs for ready reference.Other great stuff(incl T-shirts,skins,wallpaper,screensaver
&forums /UPDATES etc)at related sites.Just- Opera Browser-into your search
bar.Intresting(community etc) 7-10 sites.Keyboard shortcuts are in the tutorial.
IF you can't find it(it's there somewhere) you will have to download again &
delete what you don't want/already have.Yeah tutorial is indispennsable,couldn't
have started without it.Read really interesting history of Browsers in Wikipedia
last night,(searched for Mozilla Browsers)& learnt heaps.Opera is the ONLY FULLY
FEATURED browser in the known universe@this time:i'd get full version if they
had NZ payment options.Investigating Linux now(supports Opera).Free or
very inexpensive O/S,available locally for $10!!!Open source like Mozilla!!! :thumbsup:

#8 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:32 AM

Thanks for the help. One more question, how do I physically change back and forth, between Internet Explorer(I understand that some websites only will work properly in IE) and Opera and Mozilla?

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:01 AM

rlight - your web browsers are just applications (programs) on your PC. If you want to brows in Firefox double-click the firefox logo. If you want to use IE close Firefox and double-click IE. It's as simple as that.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#10 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,616 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:06 AM

Actually, you don't even have to close Firefox to run Interent Explorer. I often have both running at the same time with no problem. Could probably run Opera too, but I don't have it installed.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#11 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:22 PM

I have Opera and Mozilla both downloaded on my computer. However, when I open Mozilla on line, the page that opens is Opera Search - Mozilla Firefox. Why is this?
Also, do I have to be online to access the Mozilla program?

#12 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:12 PM

Choose your default.Firefox:(XP)Tools;Options;General(in lft panel);Check Now(in
Default Browser);Yes(when Firefox asks'default?";Select"Firefox should#";OK.-
Opera:Tools;Preferences;Default apps(in lft panel);Select all;to make Opera Default for all 16 file types&protocols listed/or select those you want it to handle
by default;# if Opera default on startup to get warning when another takes over;
O.K. LATEST:Security hole in Opera!!For more info&to download updates/security-
www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=782. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

#13 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:52 PM

rlight - I'm having a hard time following this :thumbsup: Lets define a couple of things, but don't be offended if I'm explaining the bleeding obvious please:

Opera = Opera, the browser that Deodar recommended.
Mozilla = Mozilla - a "full feature" browser and email suite that evolved from Netscape Communicator I believe.
Firefox = Mozilla Firefox - the "just the browser" version of Mozilla.
Online = dialled up, connected to the internet.

From what you've said I assume you have Opera and Firefox downloaded AND installed on your PC? If you are like me and have dial-up, when you double-click on Firefox a blank window will open entitled "<thehomepageyouselected> - Mozilla Firefox" and behind that will be your Dial Up Networking connection window where you click "connect" to go online. When you connect your homepage will appear in the Firefox window. You are now browsing the world wide web with Firefox. The same would apply to Opera.

You don't have to be online to start the browser, but It's not very useful. You can type C:/ in the address bar and Firefox will show you "Index of file:///c:/" which will be a list of files and folders on your hard drive. You can navigate around your hard drive this way and view images and such - but it's not very productive.

the page that opens is Opera Search - Mozilla Firefox. Why is this?

If you installed Opera after Firefox it (Opera) probably reset your homepage to "Opera Search". You start Firefox and it goes to your homepage.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users