Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg 8 And Spywareblaster - Conflicts Are Occuring

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:21 AM

I just thought would post that if anyone here is running AVG 8 and SpywareBlaster that AVG will pick up a large amount of ActiveX controls. This is due to the fact that when SpywareBlaster sets the list of blocked ActiveX controls, they have the similar code to that of the actuall dangerous ActiveX controls and therefore AVG is picking these up as potentially dangerous when they are not. AVG recommends uninstalling SpywareBlaster as AVG 8 will protect you from these and you won't need SpywareBlaster - I say different.

In a forum (From the second link below) this is the message that a member sent to AVG aswell as the reply:

I found that the new version of AVG was giving me 216 warnings regarding
activex controls. I contacted AVG and below is their reply which I
interpret as saying, trust AVG alone and give up on the notion of a
layered defence. I think I will start looking for an alternative to AVG.

Chris (Hunt)

------------------------

Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for your email.

According to your e-mail, we would like to inform you with that, the
situation, which you have described is most probably really caused by
using Spyware Blaster security application on your computer, which
contains "immunize" feature. This feature is causing that, it will
overwrite mentioned ActiveX registry entries by it's own values to
avoid some spyware to overvrite these registry keys by malicious
values. However, because the Spyware Blaster is overwriting the same
registry values as malware, it is very hard to recognize, which values
are overwritten by Spyware Blaster and which by real malware,
therefore these registry entries are detected as infected. Generally
(not even by our company), the use of more than one security system
under the same operating system is NOT recommended because of possible
conflict in their main parts, usually in the resident scanning system,
etc. It could, unfortunately, cause unexpected failures to your
system.

The situation, which you have described is caused by incompatibility
between AVG and Spyware Blaster security application on your computer
and we would like to recommend you to uninstall Spyware Blaster and
all the other security applications from your computer (if you are
using any) to avoid possible conflict situations between AVG and the
other software.

We would like to inform you with that, if you will use AVG Anti-Virus
network edition 8.0 on your computers and if it will be fully updated,
then your computer will be protected against all of the latest
viruses, spyware, trojan horses and the other malware.

For more information about the situation, which you have described, we
would like to reccommend you to visit our FAQ on the following web
page: http://www.avg.com/ww.faq.num-1198#faq_1198

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding, it is appreciated.

Answers to the most common questions can be found here as well:
http://www.avg.com/faq/

Best regards,

David Streichl
AVG Technical Support

These two links are related to this:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1226168

http://www.schenectadyny.info/cgi-bin/foru...l?m-1208847504/

You may also notice that this doesn't happen with AVG 7.5 or previous versions. Nor does any other Anti-malware app pick these up :thumbsup:

This is just a notification for those using these two programs. Currently from my knowledge, there is no fix for this but many people are continuously contacting AVG about this issue and they are now aware of it; it is up to them to take action.

Hope this helped some of you :flowers:

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:04 AM

(From AVG): we would like to recommend you to uninstall Spyware Blaster and
all the other security applications from your computer (if you are
using any) to avoid possible conflict situations between AVG and the
other software.

I've been watching this situation for a while now, and have deliberately not upgraded my AVG7.5 Internet Security suite partly because of this issue, and partly because of the other problems that have been caused by AVG8. I don't like this answer from AVG at all. To throw out everything else and rely on a single solution (namely, AVG's) goes against all the advice and all the sense we've been relying on for quite some time now. Do I believe that in AVG8 we will have the ultimate antimalware solution? Good grief, why should I?

If they don't fix this, I'll be looking for an alternative security solution to AVG when my sub runs out later this year. Till then I'm still sticking with 7.5.

Edited by Alan D, 23 April 2008 - 10:04 AM.

Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:45 PM

That is totally agreeable Alan D. I don't actually mind removing the objects with AVG if it finds something else because I can always go back to SpywareBlaster and re-enable them however that is going to start getting anoying :thumbsup: I think AVG's response is poor aswell and for paying customers, this isn't up to standards.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:14 PM

An "ActiveX Compatibility" registry key is a result of the "Immunize" function included in some anti-spyware programs (e.g.: "Spybot search & destroy", "Spyware blaster",...)

The key contains the same registry entries as the actual threats, thus preventing them from working correctly. Some anti-spyware programs use this method to prevent launching of the malware. Unfortunately, these parts are still detected by AVG signatures and that is why AVG marks them as infected.

To assure protection provided by AVG against these threats, it is not possible to remove such signatures from AVG virus bases.

Because of this, "Immunize" function included in above mentioned softwares is NOT compatible with AVG products.

AVG FAQ 1198: Infection detected in "ActiveX Compatibility" registry key
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 -Cloud

-Cloud

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:29 AM

then what can we do, cause im getting the same problem when i just ran a full system scan now??? should i just ignore the ones that say "Active X compatibility"

but the thing is i am not using SpywareBlaster iam using spybot and adware though :S

Edited by -Cloud, 26 April 2008 - 09:50 AM.

#6 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:50 AM

then what can we do, cause im getting the same problem when i just ran a full system scan now??? should i just ignore the ones that say "Active X compatibility"

but the thing is i am not using SpywareBlaster iam using spybot and adware though :S

Spybot's immunisation process has the same effects as Spywareblaster - so that's what your AVG is picking up. I think you only have two choices:
1. Remove Spybot's immunisation (and lose its protection of course). OR
2. Ignore AVG's activeX warnings.

I know - neither is acceptable. The AVG guys need to sort this out, but from the responses we've seen so far, they don't seem to be interested in doing it.

Edited by Alan D, 27 April 2008 - 03:52 AM.

Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#7 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:57 AM

No, it isn't very, generous to customers who pay :thumbsup:

Just remove everythign AVG fidns and then re-enable SpywareBlaster or Spybots protection :flowers: (My temporary solution)

#8 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:33 AM

hehe, this is why I don't use AVG. Avast doesn't have these kinds of flaws :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#9 -Cloud

-Cloud

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:12 AM

Spybot's immunisation process has the same effects as Spywareblaster - so that's what your AVG is picking up. I think you only have two choices:
1. Remove Spybot's immunisation (and lose its protection of course). OR
2. Ignore AVG's activeX warnings.

I know - neither is acceptable. The AVG guys need to sort this out, but from the responses we've seen so far, they don't seem to be interested in doing it.

No, it isn't very, generous to customers who pay :thumbsup:

Just remove everythign AVG fidns and then re-enable SpywareBlaster or Spybots protection :flowers: (My temporary solution)

thanks guys i will do that, ohhh something else i wanted to ask, does it matter if i remove or delete the files that AVG finds such as the "ActiveX compatibility"?? and lastly sometimes my AVG icon on the system tray hides away does this mean it is still active or inactive?? or it is okay to be doing so, thanks.

Edited by -Cloud, 27 April 2008 - 09:18 AM.

#10 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:13 AM

does it matter if i remove or delete the files that AVG finds such as the "ActiveX compatibility"??

Removing them seems to be the approach that david28 is adopting. Since you can easily reimmunise again afterwards, there's no harm done - but why remove them if you're going to put them back again?

As a general rule, I believe it's not a good idea to quarantine a file automatically - just because your antivirus or antispyware flags it up as malware - without fully investigating what it is that's being flagged, first. False positive alerts occur with every scanner from time to time, and you could end up removing a file that's vital to your system. In theory, quarantine will allow you to restore the file if it turns out to be a false positive, but I believe there are circumstances (eg if you've removed certain essential system files) where that may not work. Of course in this case you know what these alerts are, and what's causing them (they're registry entries, not files). If I were in your position (I'm not, because I still use AVG7.5 at present) I think I'd just ignore them at present.

and lastly sometimes my AVG icon on the system tray hides away does this mean it is still active or inactive?? or it is okay to be doing so, thanks.

Is this XP? Move your cursor to the horizontal strip (taskbar) at the bottom of the screen and right click on a blank section. Choose 'Properties' and click the 'Customise' button at bottom right. Look for the AVG icon entry and select it to 'always show'. Then click on OK, and you should find that the icon no longer hides itself.

Edited by Alan D, 27 April 2008 - 10:17 AM.

#11 -Cloud

-Cloud

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:58 AM

does it matter if i remove or delete the files that AVG finds such as the "ActiveX compatibility"??

Removing them seems to be the approach that david28 is adopting. Since you can easily reimmunise again afterwards, there's no harm done - but why remove them if you're going to put them back again?

As a general rule, I believe it's not a good idea to quarantine a file automatically - just because your antivirus or antispyware flags it up as malware - without fully investigating what it is that's being flagged, first. False positive alerts occur with every scanner from time to time, and you could end up removing a file that's vital to your system. In theory, quarantine will allow you to restore the file if it turns out to be a false positive, but I believe there are circumstances (eg if you've removed certain essential system files) where that may not work. Of course in this case you know what these alerts are, and what's causing them (they're registry entries, not files). If I were in your position (I'm not, because I still use AVG7.5 at present) I think I'd just ignore them at present.

and lastly sometimes my AVG icon on the system tray hides away does this mean it is still active or inactive?? or it is okay to be doing so, thanks.

Is this XP? Move your cursor to the horizontal strip (taskbar) at the bottom of the screen and right click on a blank section. Choose 'Properties' and click the 'Customise' button at bottom right. Look for the AVG icon entry and select it to 'always show'. Then click on OK, and you should find that the icon no longer hides itself.

Yes this i am running on XP but does this show that the application is running/active??? Now when i just re-boot the system the avg icon on the system tray loads up but doesnt show it just stays as "hide"

Edited by -Cloud, 28 April 2008 - 10:59 AM.

#12 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:27 PM

Now when i just re-boot the system the avg icon on the system tray loads up but doesnt show it just stays as "hide"

Have you tried to set it to 'always show' as I explained in my previous post? If you do that, the icon should no longer 'hide', as you describe here.

Yes this i am running on XP but does this show that the application is running/active???

If you right click on the icon, do you get a little menu? And do the selections work? If they do, then the icon is active. Even if the icon is hidden, you can still click 'show hidden icons' (hover your mouse over that little circular button) and check whether it's active in the same way.

If you want to see whether the various parts of the AVG installation are active, use Task Manager. (Right click on a blank section of the toolbar at bottom of screen and select the 'Processes' tab.)

Edited by Alan D, 28 April 2008 - 02:31 PM.

#13 -Cloud

-Cloud

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:02 PM

Now when i just re-boot the system the avg icon on the system tray loads up but doesnt show it just stays as "hide"

Have you tried to set it to 'always show' as I explained in my previous post? If you do that, the icon should no longer 'hide', as you describe here.

Yes this i am running on XP but does this show that the application is running/active???

If you right click on the icon, do you get a little menu? And do the selections work? If they do, then the icon is active. Even if the icon is hidden, you can still click 'show hidden icons' (hover your mouse over that little circular button) and check whether it's active in the same way.

If you want to see whether the various parts of the AVG installation are active, use Task Manager. (Right click on a blank section of the toolbar at bottom of screen and select the 'Processes' tab.)

okay i have done so, thanks a lot :thumbsup:

#14 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:49 AM

Getting back on topic again:

I've posted this in another thread, but wouldn't want people to miss it so I'm posting it again here. It seems that AVG have been wrong about the activeX issue, and are going to fix it. See this thread in Wilders:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread....666#post1231666
Scroll down to the last few posts and particularly read those by Javacool and Jardan, speaking for Spywareblaster and AVG respectively.

#15 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for that Alan D :thumbsup:

I have a new way to temporarily overcome this, just disable SpywareBlaster then scan with AVG and once it is done re-enable SpywareBlaster :flowers:

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users