Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken Computer

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 AcidDemo

AcidDemo

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:51 AM

Heres a little test to see if anyone can fix my computer, cause i cant and neither can the tech guys at ATI or the computer store in the hick town i live in. I am assuming it has to do with my video card but i am not exactly sure so here it is

1) whenever i run any program that requires graphics my monitor shuts itself off and says its fallin out of hertz or just power saving mode ( the tower does not turn off, just the monitor

2) my computer not only turns itself off ( monitor anyways ) but my tower will turn itself back on when i do a proper or improper shutdown ( makes no diff to it ) usually between 5 and 30 min after ( i literally
have to turn the power button off at the back )

( and yes in the Power Options it is set to never turn monitor off, never turn hard disks off and never do system standby ) makes no difference really tho cause even when i turn all those on it still acts the same

if you are familiar with the Catalyst Control Center for the Radeon vid card.. i also get an error from the VPU saying that the 3D accelerator is not responding and VPU needs to reset your graphics ( which it does automatically )
i also have the up to date drivers ( april 16 2008 ) installed

my computer hardware is

Windows XP service pack 2
Radeon 9800 PRO AIW vid card
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz
1GB Ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kendy

Kendy

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:22 AM

i am facing the same problem until today
@@ don't know what can i do on this...
what i found out is the graphic accelerator stop or crash
i can't found the reason.... >.<
i am using radeon 550....

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,036 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:45 AM

Hi AcidDemo, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Could you please post the exact error message that you are receiving?

Over heating could cause this, have you looked inside the case to see if the CPU and the GPU are dust free?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 AcidDemo

AcidDemo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:32 AM

thats the funny thing there is no Windows error message for either of the problems and the VPU from catalyst doesnt give an error report just asks if i want to send ATI an anonymous message saying it did it - it has no tab to open up notebook or anything to view the error report just says VPU detected that your 3D graphics accelerator was not responding and that VPU needs to reset your graphics.. as for the dust it is fairly clean i havent had time to take it apart or remove the processor fan to see if anything has built up on that ( i doubt it )

#5 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:57 AM

Hi Acid, welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

The video problem your experiencing,. does it occur when you boot into Windows or when your opening a program? I know you said "whenever i run any program that requires graphics my monitor shuts itself off and says its fallin out of hertz", just out of interest what programs are these?

There could be a problem with your card, then again it could be a software issue with your card's drivers, however I see that you have up2date drivers. Perhaps removing the drivers and taking the card out of the PC and re-installing mibht be worth a try?
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#6 AcidDemo

AcidDemo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:46 AM

yeah i guess i was kinda vague, running normal applications like Firefox, VLC, Winamp, and the such dont give me a problem but running things like a video editor, WoW, CoD4, Assassins Cross, and the such crash after about 5-60 min ( assassins cross considerable faster usually around 5-10 ) my system is fairly old about 5 years old now.. and this is the first time it has given me a major issue

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,036 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:16 AM

What kind of PSU do you have?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 AcidDemo

AcidDemo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:35 AM

What kind of PSU do you have?

im currently using an Okia 600W as my PSU

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,036 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:08 PM

Have you tried using another monitor to rule out the monitor?

Have you looked in the Event Viewer to see if there are any related errors?

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

Be sure that you choose System.

The error will appear in the far left column and will appear as a red dot with a white X inside. Each of the columns has a title at the top of them, the column that you want is the Event column. When you see an error follow it to the right across the page to the event column, there will be a set of numbers in there, this is the error code. If you right click on the error code a drop menu will appear, click on Properties, another page will open which will contain a description of the error.

Please post the error codes and descriptions back in this topic.

Edited by dc3, 23 April 2008 - 12:10 PM.

#10 AcidDemo

AcidDemo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:47 PM

ok i have 2 errors so ill list with - source / category / event / description

Service Control Manager / None / 7000 - The npkycryp service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

ati2mtag / CRT / 45062 - CRT invalid display type

i dont if that means its trying to access a CRT monitor cause i use a LCD :thumbsup:

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:55 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...ddf46fb&p=1

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=252757

I tend to agree with the conclusions in second link. That ati2mtag may be the driver for the second monitor or it may not...in any case, it has been known to cause problems for users.

I also agree with not using the most current ATI drivers (I have an ATI 9600 AIW), from the CD which came with the card.

I still have CRTs so I have not run into this particular issue.

Louis

#12 AcidDemo

AcidDemo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:42 AM

i downloaded the Radeon Omega Drivers 3.8.360 and to my surprise it did fix both issues ( i guess ATI's new drivers dont work with there obsolete AIW vid cards anymore.... BAD COMPANY :thumbsup: ) but it has caused another problem.. whenever i log on Windows prompts me that New hardware was found and it wants to update it ( seeings as the omega is 3 years old ) is there anyways i can can tell windows that its fine?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:30 AM

As a general rule...I advise against hardware updates via WinUpdate.

Last month (I've not figured out how they did it), one of the ATI updates was unintentionally downloaded by me (I had auto-updating enabled at that time) and screwed my system up.

My solution...do not enable auto-updating via WinUpdates. Once that is done, you won't see any prompts or have any accidents with hardware drivers.

I've pretty much developed the same attitude towards drivers updates as I have about BIOS updates...consider only when situation warrants (problem exists). If it ain't broke, why break it?

Louis

#14 AcidDemo

AcidDemo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

i dont have WinUpdate enabled on my computer cause well i dont like Microsoft or windows.. but OS's are limited in what applications can be used on them... what it is doing is detecting new hardware cause windows doesnt recognize the Omega drivers ( again cause windows sucks ) but is there anyway to force it to recognize it / or ignore it... cause the omega driver is running fine.. id have to say better then the CCC that ATI came out with

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:25 PM

FWIW: The Omega drivers for ATI cards...are nothing but the ATI drivers which have been tweaked (unofficially), see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_drivers

As for Windows not recognizing the driver...it's either recognizing the Omega drivers...or it's running on the ATI drivers. If you are running XP, it may be loading the ATI drivers from its cache...I cannot tell from what you post.

I guess that I don't understand your explanation of what you consider to be a problem.

When you go into Device Manager, do you see 2 installs graphics for display adapters?

Do you see any indications of drivers not being installed?

Did you use the ATI Uninstall utility before you attempted to install the new drivers?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/uninstall/...ll-Utility.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users