Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some help on command line pls.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MaMister

MaMister

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 07:10 PM

Hi,

I would like to know what is the command for delete files and shortcuts on current user desktop.

Is it del C:\documents and settings\*\local settings\desktop\popup blocker stops popups.lnk?

Using winxp pro. I know it is easlier to use windows explorer but I am doing this for interest.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 26 March 2005 - 08:52 AM

You are roughly right. When you open the DOS box, it will automatically be logged on the current user's account: C:\Documents and Settings\Account Name\

from there, change to the folder where the file or shortcut is located (for example, type CD Desktop, then press [ENTER]. Then type DEL (name of file or shorcut) and press [ENTER]

For stubborn files which won't delete while Windows is running, open the DOS box then end the EXPLORER.EXE process which quits the Windows shell but leaves the DOS box open for you to issue the DEL command on the stubborn file. When done, bring up the task-manager again (CTRL-ALT-DEL), log-off then log-on to restart the Windows shell.

#3 MaMister

MaMister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 26 March 2005 - 09:21 AM

May I ask if you know of any end task tools for win98 that can be use in command line like the taskkill in winxp?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users