Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioning

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 daic

daic

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:05 AM

Hello again :thumbsup:

Was wondering what program is recommended to partition a hard drive. this computer is using Win XP Pro.
I have looked at the Freeware Replacement and was wondering what people used and liked.

Also i would like an option on a program that could 're-align' a .avi file (or the like) if the audio is playing faster/slower then the movie it-self.

One last thing I would like to ask is how people put animated avitars on their member profiles for sites. (Never tried is before and im curious)

P.s. I would also like to thank garmanma, david28, and tg1911 again for their help on my last post, cheer! :flowers:

~thanks
daic.

Desktop | Laptop

• [OS] Windows 10 Pro x64 | 17.3" Touchscreen Windows 10 Pro x64
  • [Motherboard] Intel DZ87KLT-75K
  • [Power Supply] Zalman ZM850-HP Plus 850W
  • [HDD] Seagate Hybrid STCL2000400 2TB | 256 GB SSD
  • [Case] Zalman GS1200
  • [CPU] i5-4440 Processor | Lenovo Y70 Touch (80DU00ESUS) Intel Core i7 4720HQ (2.60 GHz)
  • [Memory] CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 | 16 GB Memory
  • [Graphics] ASUS DirectCU II Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:03 AM

If this is a fresh installation of XP then the installation disk will make the partitions for you. If you are wanting to add partitions after the installation then you could use a utility like Seagate's DiscWizard which includes Acronis's True Image. There is a free download that you can get here.

Edited by dc3, 23 April 2008 - 04:04 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Specmon

Specmon

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:29 AM

For partitioning and for making back-up drive images, I've had tremendous success with Terabyte's Bootit NG.

This small utility has two "parts" It is primarily designed as a boot manager, and this use costs $50. I've used the boot manager and it does a great job, if you have a system with multiple windows OS's on your system.

If your System has some flavor of Linux installed, it will have one of two boot managers used by Linux, either LILO (Linux Loader) or Grub. Both of these boot managers work great, will also manage any other OS installed in the system, and these two are free.

But the real meat of Bootit NG is that it includes a free full featured and time unlimited version of its partition manager and image generator / manipulator.

Does any partition work you need very easily, pretty intuitively, (the web site has decent tutorials if you need help) And imaged any partition regardless of OS that created it. I've used Bootit NG for a few years now for all partition and imaging work and have been very pleased with it. I've also recommended it for some time.

The program installation guides you through the process of making a bootable CD that contains the small program. This is one of my most valued utilities.

BootIt™ Next Generation
view screen shots

BootIt™ NG is a partition and multi-boot manager with a powerful and simple-to-use set of tools for partitioning, imaging, and multi-booting your computer. It combines the features of several standalone products costing hundreds of dollars more.

Version 1.83b made available on Mar 19, 2008

Check it out: Terabyte's BootitNG

here's some of what it can do:

BootIt™ Next Generation

* Compatible with all Windows versions (9x/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/Servers)
* Compatible with x64 (AMD64/EM64T) and Windows 64bit OS (non-GPT)
* IEEE1394/USB 2.0 high-speed support for imaging/partitioning
* Support for large hard drives (2 TB) and partitions (1-2 TB)
* Non-destructive resizing and conversion for FAT/FAT32
* Non-destructive resizing for NTFS
* Creation and (secure) deletion of partitions/volumes
* Undelete partitions/volumes
* FAT/FAT32 formatting
* Copying and moving of partitions/volumes
* Support for Linux Ext2/Ext3 and ReiserFS file systems
* Imaging (including directly to CD-R/RW or DVD+R/+RW/-R/-RW)
* Boot any partition on any hard drive (via BIOS)
* Booting from the CD/DVD drive (via BIOS)
* Boot multiple operating systems from a single partition
* Create over 200 primary partitions (if desired)
* User ID and password protection
* Free minor-level version upgrades
* And lots more!

Bootit NG however doesn't format NTFS partitions, this best done from within XP.

As far as realigning the sound and video on an .AVI, I don't have the answer, but here's where you can find this and an incredibly diverse answer for almost any audio/video problem. MANY tutorials, and shows sources for free software to accomplish just about any task. One of the most useful websites I've ever found:

www.videohelp.com

Have fun

Tom :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:46 AM

http://www.alexander-noe.com/video/amg/

video jedi
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:54 AM

Gparted is open-source. I found it confusing at first. One of our advisors, Amazing Andrew is writing a tutorial for it this very moment. I've had a chance to proof read it and he makes it very understandable. Check in our Tutorials forum and see if he's posted it yet
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:27 AM

Yeah, GParted is simply the bees knees when it comes to partition editing. I think that the final draft of the tutorial is just about ready and should be going up by weeks end.

#7 daic

daic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:09 AM

Hello. Thank you for all your replies.

1)To be more specific I am looking for the a partition program to format my 150gb drive (146gb available) into 2_75gb drives (It is a non-fresh install of XP pro).
This computer is a laptop, dell vostro 1500. Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 @ 1.80Ghz, 1gb ram.
graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS.

2)How do you put animated avatar's on your display icon?

3) For realigning the Audio and Picture of a video file i will take a look into the site Specmon gave me and try that out.

EDIT: I tried the AVI MUX GUI and i dont think thats what i was looking for. I am looking for a program that can take a .avi file that i already have and have i try to buffer the video quality, sound quality, and ability to align the sound and video of the file so they are in sync with eachother.

~thanks again
daic.

Edited by daic, 24 April 2008 - 03:25 AM.

Desktop | Laptop

• [Case] Zalman GS1200
  • [CPU] i5-4440 Processor | Lenovo Y70 Touch (80DU00ESUS) Intel Core i7 4720HQ (2.60 GHz)
  • [Memory] CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 | 16 GB Memory
  • [Graphics] ASUS DirectCU II Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:09 PM

To have an animated avatar, you need to find a .gif animation you like and upload it as your avatar under "My Controls" Note, however that maximum size is (I think) 90x90 pixels. If yours is larger than that, the forum will automatically resize it and this will also remove the animation part of it. My avatar, for example, is 78x78.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 24 April 2008 - 01:11 PM.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:28 PM

this will also remove the animation part of it.

I didn't know that, thanks AA
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

yeah, I learned that the hard way.

#11 daic

daic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:44 PM

Thanks Amazing Andrew. went to This Site and i resized the image to 90x90 and size on disk is 1.00kb, will see if that worked.

For the partition program, could i get you to PM me with the link to your tutorial of GParted when your are done with it?

EDIT: On laptop i still see my old dragon avatar. But i load the page on my desktop and i see my new image but its still not animated.

~thanks
daic.

Edited by daic, 24 April 2008 - 09:53 PM.

Desktop | Laptop

• [Case] Zalman GS1200

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:22 PM

Will do.

Hmmm.... anyone have any ideas about the avatar?

#13 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:45 AM

Animated Avatar:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=781040

Also see the Mini Guide ("Resizing an Animated GIF" -- http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/72020/resizing-an-animated-gif/) referenced in the above post.

EDIT: Also refer to the following post:

"How To Add An Avatar":

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=557930

Edited by M..., 25 April 2008 - 08:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users