Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Monitor Toast?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Flyinlowsup

Flyinlowsup

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

Hey there everyone, i was hoping someone could help me out with figuring out whats wrong with my monitor. Today it was working perfect in the morning, then i went out and ran some errands and when i cam back the lower half of the monitor was a lot lighter then usual and there are white wavy lines going horizontally across the screen, mostly on the lower half. I tried unplugging the monitor and repluggiing it back in, but nothing helps. What do you guys think? ITs a Dell 17" flat screen monitor, only a few years old. Can this be fixed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:45 PM

It is possible that there could be an issue with your monitor.
Is there a way you could try the monitor on a different computer OR try a different monitor on the computer the monitor is currently hooked up to?

One other possibility, do you have a graphics card? If so, your card could be bad.

#3 Flyinlowsup

Flyinlowsup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:28 PM

I have a laptop, so i can plug the monitor to my laptop and check to see if its still happening, then plug my laptop to the pc and see if it comes up on my laptop monitor? That would work right? I have not added a graphic card to my pc, but im pretty sure it has one internally.

Edited by Flyinlowsup, 22 April 2008 - 11:46 PM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:22 AM

I have a laptop, so i can plug the monitor to my laptop and check to see if its still happening.. That would work right?

Yes it would.

plug my laptop to the pc and see if it comes up on my laptop monitor... That would work right?

No, don't try such a connection, you will probably damage something.

Just hook the monitor up to your laptop. If the monitor still has the effect on the screen, it has developed a fault. Often such faults are not serious, maybe a faulty capacitor or two, but with the low value of a 17" screen, repair may not be cost-effective.

If the monitor displays OK when connected to your laptop, investigate the computer for a fault, probably the video card. But I suspect from the symptom description the problem is more likely to be in the monitor itself.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Flyinlowsup

Flyinlowsup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:30 PM

I wont be able to check it till friday, but i just got word from my brother that its getting worse and now the bottom of the screen is shaking up and down. Where can i buy a monitor for very cheap? Looking for the same as i have now or larger, 17" flat screen monitor or larger.

Edited by Flyinlowsup, 23 April 2008 - 08:32 PM.

#6 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:13 PM

www.newegg.com

www.tigerdirect.com

etc, shipping is sorta high on monitors tho. so you may be better off going to a bestbuy/circuitcity/staples/walmart whatever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users