Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Dreaded Freeze!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 whtlghtn49

whtlghtn49

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:35 PM

Hey guys, it's me again! I had a Virtuamonde virus (or however you spell it) last year, and ya'll were able to spare my computer's life from death via sledgehammer for which I was so thankful, so I thought I'd let you have a shot again!

Here is the deal. I've got a Dell Latitude D820 that's about a year and a half old. Within the last 6 months, things have begun going awry. First of all, each time I connect my Epson Stylus CX5000, or my roommate's HP printer to it via USB, the computer "Pseudo-freezes" for a duration of approximately 5 minutes, during which time I can move the cursor, but nothing will open or close, and the computer is pretty much non-respondant. It makes a strange sound when this occurs, it sounds like there is a cascade of data for a second, then a subtle "click", followed by a period of silence, with each of these episodes lasting about 5 seconds or so. However, after this goes on for about 5 minutes, all of a sudden it sounds like a data surge for about 5-10 seconds, and the computer carries out any commands I gave it while frozen, and finally it detects the printer and works as normal, printing things fine.

Here is the strange part...if I plug in the printer's USB cable when the computer is off, then power on the computer, it works fine and dandy the entire time! However, if I then unplug the printer USB and plug it back in, it begins the "Psuedo-freeze" episode!

Also, I have the Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.2 on my computer, for which I was going to begin uploading photos to my new iPhone. Each time I click to open the Adobe Photoshop, the computer pulls up the half-screen sized red Adobe screen that, at the bottom in fine print says, "Initializing Model..." I believe. However, it freezes up at this point, and I cannot get Cntl+Alt+Del or anything to work...simply have to manually shut the computer off. I have tried deleting Adobe & re-downloading it, but the same thing happens.

A very similar event occurs when I open up my GPS program on here, Delorme Street Atlas 2006. It opens it up to the original screen, then the computer just "pseudo-freezes" again if I try to operate the program. It will finally stop and I can Control+Alt+Delete out of the program. I have tried un-installing it and re-installing several times to no avail.

I appreciate any help or advice ya'll can offer at all! I am sick of these problems!! :thumbsup:

Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:55 PM

Check your USB Controllers in Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Look for any "!", "?" or "X" symbols.

Also, does this problem happen with all the USB ports or just one?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 whtlghtn49

whtlghtn49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:09 PM

Just went to the USB Controllers like you instructed and found no X's, !'s, or ?'s on the list.

This happens with every USB port on my computer.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:18 PM

This is a bit of a long shot but I have heard of it solving a similar problem.

Turn off your computer and unplug it from the wall. If it's a laptop also take the battery out. Now leave it for 30mins before plugging it back in and booting it up.

It's got something to do with letting the charge drain out of the capacitors.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:23 PM

In connection with what Budapest posted about the capacitors...I read this weekend that an alternative is to power down, flip the on/off switch on the PS to the OFF position...and then press/hold the system power button (front) for about 30 seconds.

Louis

#6 whtlghtn49

whtlghtn49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:28 PM

I'll try them!

#7 allnmacd

allnmacd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:15 PM

This sounds something like the problem I'm experiencing but no printers are involved. Your description of the "pseudo-freeze" occurs with all my applications and then that sudden surge of activity whips open everything that I clicked on at once and then stalls again. The only way I can get apps to open or close in a timely fashion is using the task manager. I've checked everything I can, to no avail. When I remove SP2 and all the patches, fixes, etc. and revert to the basic install, everything works perfectly. Thank you very much for putting into words what I could not describe. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users