Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router's Default Ip

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 petocities

petocities

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:16 PM

Hi there.
Lately, i've been having trouble with my router. The problem is that every 5 or so minutes, it disconects from the internet.
It is a Linksys WRT54GS router, and i've had it since late '05 with no problems whatsoever. I'm running on a laptop with xp sp2, but it happens to the whole network..
A characteristic i could found is that, whenever it decides to disconect itself from the internet, the default page for the router (192.168.1.1) changes!

It normally looks like this:
Posted Image

if not working properly, it looks like this:
Posted Image
It may be worth noting that I updated the firmware of the router when in fine mode, but if it is in "not working mode" it doesn't let me upgrade it.

hope anyone can shed any light over this, its driving me crazy! (can't play online games :thumbsup: )

Edited by petocities, 22 April 2008 - 05:00 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 petocities

petocities
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:53 PM

ok, found the problem.
When the network was set up, the one who did it forgot to change the second router's ip adress, therefore generating conflicts with the primary router.
That explains both setup pages, the sudden disconnections and reconnects, and the impossibility to reach all computers within the network.

A quick tutorial (it may help someone else):
When connecting two or more routers in the same network through a primary router, you should be connecting them in cascade. The first step is to connect the router to the computer, and plug it to the AC. Then, get into the setup page and change its IP adress.
If you want to connect it in LAN-LAN mode, you should change the IP Adress to (usually) 192.168.1.2, disable the DHCP, and set the working mode to Routing (instead of gateway).
If you're conecting the second router through the Uplink or Internet port, you should change the IP Adress to 192.168.2.1, therefore making a sub network dependant of the first one. I am not sure if this solution enables your network and sub network to share printers and other resources.

I hope my mistake can enlighten someone else. Maybe I could make a proper tutorial if this is a recurrent question... ;D
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users