Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Widow Xp Reinstall

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 j54ams

j54ams

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:48 PM

Can a fresh install be done on a computer which has had the motherboard replaced then later the hard drive. When the hard drive was replaced, the whole drive was transfered to the new one without a reinstall of windows. I have the original OS disc which is XP Home SP1. The person I'm going to do this for does not know if the disc was installed with this motherboard. It is a valid disc and has only been used on her computer but with various upgrades. I'm concerned about validation issues. Even though all is legal! I hope this isn't to confusing to understand!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:27 PM

Hmmm...a fresh install, but not of the current operating system...

Are you saying that XP SP2 is installed on the current system, using the disk you propose? Using the same license for activation, that should be no problem. There is nothing about SP2 that results in activation issues for any user who originally had SP1 or an earlier version of XP (with the same license) installed.

The only possible issue would result if that license...was used on another system.

You might consider slipstreaming the XP CD to include at least SP2 (SP3 is currently scheduled for release next week), to preclude issues when/if doing a repair install or trying to utilize the sfc tool.

Louis

#3 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:45 PM

Well, her system has been upgraded a few times, motherboard, hard drive, memory. So, nothing is left of the original system (hardware). Still the original XP Home SP1 with SP2 update. She has the original OS disc and I have a disc from Microsoft with SP2. I want to back up her files and reinstall the OS. I don't know how to slipstream. So, the activation will be no problem?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:03 PM

Well...the key phrase was "nothing is left of the original system (hardware)."

If it were an OEM license, issued by either MS direct (such as I have several of) or one obtained via a boxmaker (Gateway, Dell, eMachines, Compaq, etc.)...that license died with the original equipment.

But...I would still try to activate it :thumbsup:. My thinking is always to let persons charged with making authoritative decisions...make those decisions, based on their evaluations of facts/premises presented. I have changed various equipment items on my systems and never had a problem...but I've not tried activation on a system totally lacking original components.

If it were not an OEM license, it still might be a point of contention, since MS rewrote the rules (a couple of years ago, I think) in terms of transferability of licenses. It did not apply to me, so I did read it...but it's at their website.

Bottom line regarding activation: You don't know until you try.

My own unsubstantiated personal opinion...is that the authorized personnel are likely to validate XP activation requests that are put forth with any legal, registered license key...while the bogus keys will still be denied. That's how I would be doing it, at this date, if I were in their jobs. But, that's just a personal, unsubstantiated perspective.

As for slipstreaming, very easy if you use a tool like nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation - Guide - http://www.nliteos.com/guide/

Downloadable SP2 is available at Download Windows XP Service Pack 2 XP SP2 (Full package) - http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xpsp2.html

Louis

#5 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:45 PM

Thanks, Louis. I guess I'll find out when I get it done! I'll check the slipstreaming out.

#6 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:57 PM

OK, I'm a moron! Do you use the nlite download to install windows using the original valid key to register?

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:03 PM

you have to have your cab files on a cd, then nlite takes those and a service pack and slipstreams them into an iso file that you burn to get a new cd

Edited by DaChew, 22 April 2008 - 06:04 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:40 PM

Another stupid question........do I get those from the hard drive or the XP disc?

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:19 PM

it will be a cd with an I386 folder on it, not from an installation of xp on a hard drive

Edited by DaChew, 22 April 2008 - 07:19 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:08 PM

OK, thanks.

#11 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:30 PM

Could NOT get the slipstream cd made. Kept getting an error message saying it couldn't copy some files. So, had to re-install Windows XP Home and SP2 separately. Activation went OK. Will keep trying to slipstream for future use if needed. Thanks for the help.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for the feedback, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users