Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HIJACK THIS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 04:25 PM

I attempted to download HijackThis, from the link on BleepingComputer. I am told that the download was complete. However, when I click on the icon on my desktop to complete the install, a window appears "Open With". What do I do next.?

Rlight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 04:28 PM

Just, double click it.
That should run it.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 04:43 PM

In the Open With box try program if its there.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 26 March 2005 - 01:33 PM

Which operating system are you using? The HJT file needs to be extracted to its own folder. If you're using XP, you should be able to right-click the file and choose to Extract All, and then a wizard will open. Click "Next" and click the Browse button. Click the plus sign on "My Computer," click on the C: drive, which will probably be "local disk C:" - not the plus sign, but the words - and then click on the "make new folder" button.

You will see "new folder" highlighted in blue. Replace the words "new folder" with HJT and hit enter. Click OK. Make sure the box is checked for "show extracted files," and click Finish. A new folder will open with HijackThis! ready to run.

If you are using a different operating system, the instructions will be different. For instance, if you are using Windows 98, you will need to download a third-party tool to unzip the file, such as Winzip. HijackThis! needs to be in its own folder to work properly, not a temporary folder and not run zipped from the desktop. It makes backups of what it fixes and if you later have to delete the contents of your temporary folders, those backups would be gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users