Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound Either

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 vaan

vaan

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:26 PM

Maybe 4 or 5 days ago, I finally gave in and allowed the 'Windows Update' popup thingie that had been coming up day after day to download and install. Big mistake. Once that happened, I immediately started to notice problems with the sound on my computer. Sometimes it would make this hissing noise with faint beeping, and I discovered that if I tried to listen to anything else during that time, I could only hear it (faintly) if I turned all the volume settings up to 100%. The volume settings didn't adjust the volume of the hissing.

The hissing sounded almost exactly like what you hear when someone's breathing into a microphone. It would abruptly start out of nowhere with no connection or pattern to what I was doing, and last for an undetermined amount of time, then suddenly vanish and I could hear sound again fine. I had already concluded the problem was with the computer rather than the headphones or speakers I use because both produced the hissing but when attached to another computer, they worked fine.

I checked in Device Manager, and no X's or exclamation marks appeared in any of the categories. I had no idea what to do, but I stumbled across System Information, and when I looked at the System History tool, something interesting in Components showed up around the time I had gotten the problem. I took a screen-capture; you can see it here.

Having read more, I decided to play around with the drivers (I can't remember whether the first time I rolled them back or updated them - probably the first) - needless to say, it seemed to work. Then, the next day, it didn't work again, and checking the log in SysInfo I found that it had been removing and adding the same audio-related Plug and Play thingies (all Microsoft Kernel -- stuff) again while I had been sleeping. The way I had tried the previous day no longer worked, so this time I updated the drivers (except the one for my sound card, Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit), which may have helped; I can't remember.

Anyway, once this had continued for days - fixing and reemerging - I finally updated all the drivers ... and now there's no sound at all! No hissing, but nothing else either!

I've already checked standard things like Conflict/Sharing, Device Manager, SysInfo logs, whether anything's muted or turned down, whether the cord for my headphones is plugged in correctly, etc. None show any problem.

I tried the 'Creative Diagnostics' for my sound card and everything came back positive; it couldn't find any problem.

Oh, by the way, I'm running Windows XP SP2. I can't hear any system sounds either.

I tried Troubleshooting on the devices/drivers/stuff and that eventually led me to download and install an update from SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit to SB Live! 24-bit ... apparently the latter was signed and listed as made for XP, whereas the previous had blank entries in the Hardware Compatibility List.

However, I think that going SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit > SB Live! 24-bit was what had finally turned off all the sound day(s) ago, after which I rolled back the driver to the previous SoundBlaster < SB Live! etc., but it didn't fix it.

I _do_ remember that I only downloaded one of the 'critical' updates from Windows Update, and there was something with making sure things were 'signed' included, which I'm not sure whether it was on my comp. beforehand.

Can anyone help? I just read the other 'No Sound' thread and tried dxdiag; neither test produced any sound so it gave an error message "Failure at step 19 (User verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)" for both.

The only weird thing I can think of is that in Sound1 in said program, the driver listed for my SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit is P17.sys v.5.12.0001.0514, and says that "The file P17.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer."

All the drivers for the other audio-related stuff in the Device Manager (Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer, Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device, Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device) were listed as signs, but a couple under my soundcard one weren't. As one of the Windows Updates was related to signing, that's the only thing I can think of that could be linked. I should have remembered that EVERY time I allow a Windows Update, something like this occurs (last time it was browser problems and control, e.g. opening folders when I had merely positioned the arrow on them rather than click or doubleclick them), but it'd been too long for me to have remembered.

Sorry for rambling - do you need me to provide any type of specifications?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:59 PM

WOW!!! There is a lot of stuff going on here with "No Sounds" LOL...I want to try and see if I can help you but I need some time to digest all that you have put in your first statement so that I don't come off as a "Bleeping Idiot" (actually I may be)...

One thing I will ask you though...When you opened your device manager did you click on the view tab and click on "Show Hidden Devices"? If not, Please do so and click on the "+" signs for sounds and video controllers and system....There may be some things that are hidding there that we need to know about...

Give me a little time to digest your first statement so that I have a full grasp on the situation at hand...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:00 PM

Something to check.

Start/Control Panel.

Open Sound and Audio Devices.

Volume tab, click on Properties in Device Volume.

Play control should open.

Click on Options/Properties. Place a checkmark by everything, click OK.
Back to Options/Advanced Controls.

If under any of the categories, you see Advanced click on that, if a box opens that has
OTHER CONTROLS/1 Digital Output Only check if it's unchecked.
OR UNCHECK if checked.
It could be that it needs to be reset after driver install.

Try playing a cd or music file.
If you have sound, wonderful. If not, more troubleshooting.

(The instructions are for Sound Blaster cards, which you have.
I have no idea if they work for other brands)

#4 vaan

vaan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:10 PM

Thanks to both of you!

Douglas, I only stumbled upon 'Show Hidden Devices' days after the problem started so there _may_ have originally been something shown as not working in that location, but for the past two or three days it hasn't shown anything out of the ordinary. The contents there change depending on what/whether I've rolled back or updated a driver, but right now they have Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices, Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device, Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver, SB Live! 24-bit, Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device, and Video Codecs.

Queen-Evie, okay, I did that - Microphone, S/PDIF-In, and Auxiliary were unchecked. As for 'Digital Output Only', I already looked at that and it's unchecked.

Still no sound, sadly.

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:13 PM

You ran the dxdiag script and you could not hear any sounds...correct...If I am reading this correctly this all started after you installed "windows updates"....Have you tried to do a system restore to an earlier time (before this update)? I can't tell from the screen shot what date this occurred but maybe you can remember when it first occurred and restore to a point before that.

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

For right now don't mess with "legacy drivers or any of the codecs"...That may cause other issues...

#7 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:40 PM

Did you check is your services were started and set to automatic? Start>Run> type in services.msc and press OK...Open Local Services if it isn't open, cursor down to "Windows Audio". Status should state that it is started and set at automatic...If it isn't double click on it and another box will open to allow you to set it up that way.

#8 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:56 PM

I need to think on this some more...There is a lot of stuff going on here...BTW, Doug would be just fine (Douglas is just to formal)...

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:59 PM

If the digital output is unchecked, did you check it? If not, try that, see if you get sound.
You don't have have to worry about the microphone and other stuff right now. I forgot to say in my first post-is on board sound disabled? You'll have to boot into bios to check.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 April 2008 - 04:01 PM.

#10 vaan

vaan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:48 PM

Thanks, Doug - yeah, I already checked that the services were started and set at automatic. I just read today about not messing with the codecs or legacy drivers I remember eventually clicking 'update driver' for every single option under the Sounds, etc. in the Device Manager, but can't remember whether any of the codecs or Legacy stuff were actually updated.

As for System Restore, I'm reluctant to do so both because of work / changes I've made in the meantime I'd like not to lose; I think I could pinpoint when I downloaded the Update, though.

Queen-Evie, yeah, I tried checking digital output and that didn't fix it. Or should I have checked it, restarted and then see if it worked? But as for on-board sound, I already checked in BIOS, and yes, it's disabled. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I didn't want to mess with BIOS as I have no clue what I'm doing and have only done all the steps I've mentioned based on what I've read on various internet pages these past couple days.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:52 PM

Maybe it's time to start from the beginning-at this point it is worth a shot, if you haven't already. You did mention uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, but it's unclear whether you uninstalled the device.
CAUTION-MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE DRIVERS AVAILABLE TO INSTALL BEFORE DOING THIS.

Go to Device Manager.
Under Sound Controllers, highlight Soundblaster.
On the toolbar, you'll see a computer icon with an X through it.
Clicking on this icon will uninstall the device from your computer.
Reboot. The computer will find it when the system boots back up.

Install the drivers. Check for sound. If you still have no sound, repeat the process I described in my post above.
My old computer had Soundblaster, and everytime I reinstalled the OS, and after reinstalling the SB drivers, that was the procedure I had to do in order to get sound.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 April 2008 - 06:53 PM.

#12 vaan

vaan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:00 PM

I will try that, Evie; what do you mean 'make sure you have the drivers available to install' - where/how do I find out if I do? I'm not that knowledgeable about hardware.

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:59 PM

Do you have the disk that came with Soundblaster? That will have the drivers on it, which you will need to install in order to have sound.
I'm not sure if you can get the actual drivers from Soundblast website; when I needed them a few years ago when my disk got damaged I was told they did not have them available online for download, and that I would have to purchase another disk from them. I refused to buy one, and after some trial and error was able to muddle through and get generic Windows drivers. I may be able to recall the process if you don't have the disk.

#14 vaan

vaan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:34 PM

Well, I did what you said - I uninstalled the device, then used the disk to reinstall it (including the drivers). It didn't work, so I tried it again a couple times (rebooting each time); still no sound at all.

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:49 PM

After reinstalling the device, did you go through the drill to check digital output?
You can open your media player, put in a cd or play a music file while checking or unchecking
digital output.
The only other things I can think of are the standard
If your speakers use a power cord, make sure it's plugged into the outlet.
Are the speakers turned on?
Volume turned up?
Are speakers correctly hooked into the correct sound card port?
Another thing you can try-open up a media player. Pop in a cd or play a song
you have on your computer. UNPLUG the speaker from the port, try it in all the ports.
(Just make sure you remember which on you took it out of)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users