Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Issue...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 speytone

speytone

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:26 PM

Hey there. Having trouble with a Dell unit. Dell Optiplex GX720 with a Hitachi Deskstar IC35L09AVV207-0 Hard Drive. I have heard that dell has issues with their machines and Hitachi harddrives.

whats happening is odd. It just Shuts off. NO fanfare or fireworks. It just shuts off. NOt much of anything major going on when it shuts off, it could be opening the task manager, opening a PDF file from an online site. NO real pattern to when it wants to shut itself off. I have tried to run antivirus, anti-spyware stuff but it does its shutdown dance at any given time.

But... the only way to turn it back on is to unplug the power source from the tower and plug it back in. You can push the power button a hundered times it just wont turn back on until you unplug the power from the machine

I thought it was the power supply so i changed it out and i get the same effect from a new power supply.

The fan appears to be working. I did a CHKDSK, no bad sectors.

Not sure where to go next. I half suspect i should do some hardrive and memory diagnostics but would like some second opinions in the off chance someone else has experienced this.

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:44 PM

Random shut downs with no errors, the first thing I wound suspect is overheating
Are all the fans and heatsink nice and clean and operating properly?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 speytone

speytone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:06 PM

yes, when i had the thing open to try the new power supply, i blew all the dust jerks away. Someone else mentioned that. The fan appears to be working i feel air coming off of it, but how can i tell for sure if its working at its max performance?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:46 PM

Well, whether the fans work or not...I would just check the CPU temperature as reflected in the BIOS.

Generally, the upper limit for a CPU is going to be 60-70 Celsius, anything approaching that would be cause for alarm, IMO.

It's good to completely eliminate possible suspects :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:02 AM

Could be the temp, possibly the memory or meybe even the system is shorting out somewhere, a friend's PC was doing that.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#6 speytone

speytone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:45 AM

I would just check the CPU temperature as reflected in the BIOS...

i will do this thanks.

someone else mentioned a blown capacitor, but in my mind, if that were the case, wouldnt it just not work ... period ?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:51 AM

http://ask.metafilter.com/20940/Blown-capa...supply-problems

As a general rule, I don't believe that the average user can detect anything wrong with capacitors and such...this would at least require a cursory/detailed visual inspection of the motherboard...something many users don't do.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=b...+on+motherboard

Louis

#8 speytone

speytone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:25 PM

As it turns out the above mentioned memory diagnostics i was going ot check pointed me to the last memory track, channel, bus or whateever you want ot call it in a series of four that was causing the issues.

Thanks for everyones help!!

I still am confused as to why we had to disconnect the power from the back of the unit to get it to power back up?

Weird.

Agian thanks for your help!

edit:
Curious it wasnt actually the channel track bus thingy.... all sticks of ram work as they should on their own. just in the last two tracks, two of the rams would not work toegether as they should. Pull one out and everything is fine agian.

Weird............

Edited by speytone, 29 April 2008 - 10:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users