Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Most Odd Problem I've Ever Encountered... Please Help.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 steve--

steve--

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:18 PM

I've got a dell laptop with xp, and a few days ago I shut it down, and took it to a friends house. When I got to my friends, I plugged it in, and turned it on. When it started up all the icons on my desktop changed to the one windows shows when it does not recognize a file. Then when I click on one of them it doesn't work, and I get the message that windows cannot open this file, and this is even true with self executing files. Also when I right click on my desktop, and then click on properties nothing happens.

Ok.... When I do a system restore to an earlier date, this problem I mentioned is partially remedied trmporaraly, but after a day or two it's right back to where it was. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? It seems to maybe be some file association problem, but I have no idea what is causing it.

Thanx a bunch
Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:33 PM

Try starting your computer in Safe Mode, and then restart it in Normal Mode. I've heard that this will rebuild the iconcache.db file and may correct your problem.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 steve--

steve--
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:51 PM

Try starting your computer in Safe Mode, and then restart it in Normal Mode. I've heard that this will rebuild the iconcache.db file and may correct your problem.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Thanx for the response, but since the problem that is occuring with my comp also prevented me from using the system restore normally, I had to start the restore process via safe mode, so this was already done. Thanx again :thumbsup:

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:55 PM

Here's another thing you can try. Download, install and then launch Tweak UI. Click the "Repair" link, then in the right pane of Tweak UI, click on the pull-down and choose "Rebuild Icons". Click "Repair Now", then "OK" to close the dialogue box.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 steve--

steve--
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:40 AM

Here's another thing you can try. Download, install and then launch Tweak UI. Click the "Repair" link, then in the right pane of Tweak UI, click on the pull-down and choose "Rebuild Icons". Click "Repair Now", then "OK" to close the dialogue box.

Thanx for the help buda, this is a really annoying problem.
Due to the nature of this problem it makes it hard to achieve some of the things you guys suggested, but it may be possible, I'll see if I can.
Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?
Also, does anyone have any idea what a system restore disk runs for for a dell? Ball park?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:54 AM

Call Dell and have you product code handy to prove the authenticity and they should be willing to send you one for free or for the price of shipping it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 wannabe1

wannabe1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:57 AM

Hello steve--...

One other thing you might try is a registry fix for the exe file associations. Download the attached file and save it to your desktop. Right click on the downloaded file and choose "Extract All"...extract the file to your desktop. Double click on the extracted file (or right click and choose "Merge") to run the reg file. Accept the changes and reboot.

Attached File  xp_exe_fix.zip   745bytes   22 downloads

wannabe1

Murphey's Law...Anything that can go wr...+\#&\% Bus Error -- Core Dumped

Microsoft MVP 2008: Windows - Shell/User

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:16 PM

In case anyone is wondering...the fix proposed by Wannabe1 appears to be one of the many fixes developed/provided by Doug Knox at http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users