Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AngeLEAna

AngeLEAna

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:28 PM

Ok, so I'll do my best to describe the problem and see if anyone has any suggestions:

Computers are not my thing, so if there is any suggestions that you do have, please be as explicit and basic as you can. Step by step is usually best because as I said, I honestly know next to nothing about how a computer actually works...

That being said, I am running Windows XP and am currently experiencing a very odd and unpredictable problem with my wireless connection. Sometimes when I turn on my laptop, it will recognize that there is a wireless network and run completely fine and normal. Then, when I turn my laptop off and then back on, or sometimes even when it goes into standby and I bring it out, the wireless network is no longer recognized (ie there is no icon for it in the system try and the actual light for the connection is shown that it is disconnected.) However, when I try to configure my wireless networking device, it says that it is working properly. But when I try to refresh/repair the connection, it says that the action cannot be performed because the TCP/IP hosts are not connected, I believe was how it stated it. And then, when I try to ping with the ipconfig command, it says "media disconnected" and then the process terminates. I realize that this is a problem, however I have looked everywhere and there is nothing on how to fix this "media disconnected" problem.

Can anyone help me out? :thumbsup: (Again, I apologize for the :flowers: elementary level :trumpet: at which I understand computers. I am willing to learn, but I have to be able to understand what you say to me lol)

Thanks so much,

~*~K~*~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kendy

Kendy

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:25 PM

how far you bring your computer away?
wireless router/modem is in very short range only @@
don't think is your laptop or wireless networking device can't function,
if it can't working properly you for sure unable to connect to internet all the time not even in your house.
Hope my point of view help you. :thumbsup:

#3 AngeLEAna

AngeLEAna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:09 PM

It's not that I bring the computer too far away because I am unable to connect to a campus-wide network (and each house has a router for this network in their basement, which has worked in the past and it works for all my room mates.) My computer just stopped connecting for some reason and I'm attempting to figure out what that reason is.

Thanks for your input, though, Kendy. I appreciate it.

~*~K~*~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users