Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home Installation Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 koishiikun

koishiikun

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:26 AM

After having problems on my OS, I decided to re-install windows.

I normally do the procedures without any problems but this time, the setup could not advance.

After choosing the partition, it formats the drive then the copying files proceed. After it reboots, it just comes back to the same windows setup page. I could not advance to the windows installation itself, I have tried a lot of times and it just formats.. reboots and again.

Also, after the reboot, it does not ask me to press any key to enter setup. It just shows the Inspecting hardware configuration right away. If I remove the disk after the reboot. I end up stuck with a blinking cursor. And when I try to set it up again, it says that a C:/windows folder has already been created but still the process just repeats.

I need help. Thanks.

Edited by koishiikun, 22 April 2008 - 04:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:12 AM

It may be worth looking inside the case to see what the manufacturer is and going to their web site and downloading their diagnostic tool. You should be able to burn this to a CD which you will be able to boot from and run.

Another thing to try would be to use a utility like [url=http://www.killdisk.com/erasedata.htm[/url] to wipe the hdd, this will give you a clean hdd to start with. There is a tutorial at this site which is user friendly.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 koishiikun

koishiikun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:40 AM

I found this thread that deals with the same problem and they have found the solution, problem is I don't know much about BIOS and if someone could tell me what they did here(tell me how) could help me a lot. Thank You

http://www.thetechlounge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2775

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:23 PM

Did you try a clean install...one where everything on the drive is obliterated...or did you just try to install over an existing install/partition?

Did you use a MS XP CD...or recovery CDs/partition...in your attempt?

As to your question about the BIOS...we'll get to that :thumbsup:.

First, some info re the system manufacturer and model...or, if custom-built, the motherboard manufacturer/model, please.

As to the link...some motherboards/systems come with a RAID controller, in addition to the regular hard drive controllers. If the RAID option is the default and someone is not intending to set up a RAID, there could be problems. From what I read, this is what the situation was in the link you posted. I don't know if this will apply to your situation, but your feedback will allow someone to make that determination.

FYI: Basics of RAID - http://ezinearticles.com/?Basics-of-RAID&id=11919

Louis

#5 PcRebel

PcRebel

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:38 AM

Hi, I'm assuming you created a partition for the installation. If not, you need to do that first. You didn't mention which file system or option you chose to format the partition . Try formatting using the NTFS file system option. DO NOT use the NTFS file system (Quick). You should be able to continue with windows setup now. Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users