Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarealarm On A Mac

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Overhazard

Overhazard

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:48 AM

I've searched around and around this place, and it seems that the problem I'm having is unique. Well, actually, it's my sister, 320 miles away. She phoned me with this problem a few hours ago, and I'm really concerned.

She's kind of a magnet for bad things to happen to computers, and often, there are problems with the computers she uses that normally should never happen, even though she knows how to use the internet safely. It's usually just an annoyance, but from what I've read, MalwareAlarm can cripple computers, and I'm rather worried that the people who made this are now targeting Macs. I've yet to find a malware removing program that's Mac-compatible, so Macs seem to be pretty defenseless on the rare instance that somebody chooses to attack them.

Anyway, this is what I know.

- She's getting the characteristic pop-ups that says the computer is infected and that MalwareAlarm can fix it. The problem is that it closes the FireFox window she's using, and the pop-up has no Close button. It can only go away by Force Quitting FireFox. As for the FireFox browser, she has it set to update automatically, so it should be the latest version. She tried going on with Safari too, but it also brings up the pop-up and won't let her use the internet.
- She's using an iMac G4. I don't know which specific version of the Mac OS it is, however. It was bought on September 2007.
- It was infected at about 10:15 PM on April 21st, 2008. At least, that's when the pop-ups first showed up. I don't know what she was doing during then, but she's restricted her internet usage to popular sites like FaceBook, Wikipedia, and YouTube. She does not accept e-mail attachments unless it's related to school. She's been struck several times like this in the past using Windows computers, and she chose a Mac BECAUSE it's an infrequent target of malware.

Ugh, it's pretty annoying that everywhere I've searched, I see instructions on how to remove it from a Windows computer; Macs are never even mentioned. My guess is that this is a very new development and that she is among the first victims.

Edited by Overhazard, 22 April 2008 - 02:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users