Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop are you sure you want to delete in recycle...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 23 July 2004 - 11:12 AM

Tired of that error message thats says every time you go to delete something in the recycling bin. It says "Are you sure you want to delete the selcted file". Well no more! Heres how to make it stop:
Right-click on the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop, choose Properties, and clear the checkmark next to Display delete confirmation dialog box.

Hope this helps!

-Cowsgonemadd3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 24 July 2004 - 09:36 AM

You can also press and hold either shift button while pressing delete on the keyboard, when files are highlighted to bypass the recycle bin completely. Works in XP, and I believe most of the earlier versions as well.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2004 - 10:44 AM

Thanks again jason. I knew about that one but i figured it wasnt good enought to post it. But yes holding the shift key while deleting a item will delete it permanintally.

Cowsgonemadd3

#4 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 July 2004 - 11:08 AM

But to really delete somthing out of your recycle bin? Let things stay in your bin but use this program, it wipes everything away and bleaches it so its not just overwritten but really gone

http://home.comcast.net/~sgould4567/cleanup/

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2004 - 01:05 PM

Ok so when i delete something out of the bin where does it go?

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2004 - 07:40 PM

When you empty the recycle bin the os destroys the entry in the table that points to the particular file. But the file still exists!

These programs, like the one brunt recommended, do a government grade wipe which means they write over the area of the disk that contained the file a certain amount of times with gibberish or 1s and 0s and then it is considered truly wiped.

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 24 July 2004 - 08:50 PM

wow i did not know that. I will go donload that thing. But what about the things i ahve deleted in the past? Can it find them and delete them too?

#8 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 July 2004 - 10:13 PM

whatever clean up finds it will clean. You will be suprised how many mb/s of stuff hanging around. It will ask you to log off so it can delete programs in use just click no and you will see how much stuff was clean off your hd. And grinler is correct its called Gutman it overwrites the files with 1's and 0's about 21 times.

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2004 - 10:25 PM

Thats cool. I downloaded it it works great. I found lots and lots of items on my pc. I hope it will increase my hd's space. :thumbsup:

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2004 - 09:25 AM

Deleting files in Windows is much like tearing the table of contents out of a book; the body of text remains, in Window's case until it is overwritten by other files. Another good program that overwrites files (there is even an option to overwrite from the recycle bin) is Eraser:

http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/

These applications will, more often than not, even get rid of those pesky folders that you cannot delete.

Regards.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2004 - 01:40 PM

Great! I have this stupid thing called my web search it came with smiley central. But i cannot delete the folder it says access denied. I will use this program to hopefully delete it.

#12 Shibby

Shibby

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 25 July 2004 - 01:51 PM

I got the eraser program but am unsure how to use it.

#13 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2004 - 02:06 PM

Shibby which program did you download the first link or the second? Is it the cleanup program?

#14 Shibby

Shibby

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 25 July 2004 - 02:08 PM

I downloaded the both...CleanUp is easy to use. But i am not sure how to use Eraser(second link).

#15 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2004 - 02:15 PM

Ok shibby i will help you out. Me myself just downloaded this program too and am yet to use it. Give me a moment to help you. About 5 mins. Check back in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users