Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MY CD BURNER HAS VANISHED... HELP!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 marocballistic

marocballistic

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 01:23 PM

HI if anyone can help hopefully an expert it would be very very very much appreciated, basically my RICOH MP7320A JustLink CD BURNEr has vanished.... totally from the my computer window, device manager, everywhere and I dont know why.

I last used it a couple of days ago and everything was fine.

I am pretty good with computr I like to think, but this has made me panic and worry like a kid on their first day of high school.

So please help as this could not have happened at a worse time, I'm a free lance graphic designer just starting out and I have alot to burn and this aint good as I'm sure you will agree.

Thanks a milion in advance anyone who knows what is going on.

My system basics by the way are:

Windows XP SP1
Pentium 4 2.5GHz
120 Gb Hard Drive
512 Mb RAM

Thanks again

Marco

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2005 - 08:22 PM

Try going
control panel -> administrative tools -> service -> look whether IMAPI CD burning COM service has disabled... default value is manual

click the start menu
click run
type regedit
run regedit and navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives\Volume{random numbers}
look for "Drive Type" string and change the DWORD value to 2

if the above fix does not get it for you try going in the device manager and removing the drive, reboot and after it reinstalls it should be back to normal.

#3 marocballistic

marocballistic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 07:12 AM

Thanks for the advice, I will try this, but the last comment about removing drive from device manager I cant do as the drive isnt there either but hey i'll try what you said.

cheers bud

any other ideas by anyone or explanations why this would have happened would be much appreciated

thanks all look forward to any suggestions

Marco

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:04 AM

It may not work, but the error code displayed may give a direction to go.

I would like for you to make a shortcut to it. Right-click the desktop, new ->shortcut ->click browse ->find the My Computer and click the little + by it.

Do you see your floppy drive, (primary and/or secondary) hard drives, and your CD drive(s)? If so, make sure there is a CD in your drive, and click the drive, and click next. Next one more time will finish the shortcut to it.

I would like to include another way in case this does not work for you.

Place a CD in the drive, and after the light goes off, click START-> Search-> click all files and folders-> click the drop-down menu that says 'look in' (by default it will show your hard drive)-> look on this list to see if your CD drive is there. If it is, then highlight it and click search.

Lets say that both methods does not work. It is very possible that will happen.

Have you thought about doing a System Restore?

Do you have any trial CD burning programs installed? If you do, it is possible that your drive is disabled due to the trial ending. You may want to check out http://www.deepburner.com/. They have a free version of CD/DVD burning software. They also have a Pro version with more features for a 30-trial period.

While we are on the subject of free software, you might want to take a look at the list here at BC. Bleeping Computer's list of free replacement software You will find the DeepBurner there among many others.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:33 AM

system restore does not fix bios and registry errors, i belive that this is a missing registry key problem.

Now about your drivers not even showing up, perhaps you could find general drivers for the product and install those and see if theres any luck?

Edited by Techsomething, 27 March 2005 - 11:34 AM.

#6 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:59 AM

system restore does not fix bios and registry errors

You are right that it would not repair them. I was eliminating other possibilities.

Cool avatar by the way! There are times that is the best remedy for some computers :thumbsup:

#7 marocballistic

marocballistic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 01:50 PM

Thanks guys, I am just about to try them all now, although I tried a system restore as one of the first things I did to the 11th of March, no luck as you pointed out, I may have an idea what may have happen:

couple of days ago I sent a hijack this log to the relevant part of this wwebsite, and could it be that I have deleted the wrong file when the expert came back to me?

Ok anyway I'll try these out and get back to you cheers peeps catch you late

Oh and happy easter

Marco

#8 marocballistic

marocballistic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 02:36 PM

Ok I have tried all of your suggestions and I'm afraid nothing has worked.....

more info is the drive has vanished, I am wondering if I have deleted it by accident somehow, but I have no installation software for it.

I cannot work out why windows isnt seeing it is attached as the connection inside tower is good, and the drive opens and light flashes so it has power.

I cant believe it is broken because I dont believe things break without a good reason

please any other ideas would be a god send, I beg you all ha ha

Ok thanks so far hope to hear something soon

Marco

#9 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 02:59 PM

You may have to reset the CD drive.

I would shut the computer down, open the case, remove the ribbon cable, turn it back on, shut it back down again, re-attach the ribbon cable, then turn the computer back on. After it says that new hardware was found, allow the usage of M$ drivers long enough to find the manufacturer one, and re-install that driver. Restart the computer one more time for the changes to take effect.

To make it easier, you may want to d/l the driver prior to you restarting the computer the first time. On the manufacturer site, I did find some information on updating the firmware which you may benefit from. http://www.ricoh.com/drive/asia/support/download/mp7320a_w/ This is based on your specific model number. Also on this page, is driver information.

#10 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:54 PM

You may have to reset the CD drive.

I would shut the computer down, open the case, remove the ribbon cable, turn it back on, shut it back down again, re-attach the ribbon cable, then turn the computer back on. After it says that new hardware was found, allow the usage of M$ drivers long enough to find the manufacturer one, and re-install that driver. Restart the computer one more time for the changes to take effect.

To make it easier, you may want to d/l the driver prior to you restarting the computer the first time. On the manufacturer site, I did find some information on updating the firmware which you may benefit from. http://www.ricoh.com/drive/asia/support/download/mp7320a_w/ This is based on your specific model number. Also on this page, is driver information.

Go with his suggstion downloading the driver would be best

#11 marocballistic

marocballistic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:59 AM

ok guys will do cheers i'll let you know how i got on

#12 marocballistic

marocballistic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:20 PM

nope, my cd burner has just gone on holiday i think, weird it flashes as if being checked when logging on, and now its spinning wildly with a disc in it but it still isnt there on my computer folder or device manager or anywhere, go figure, any ideas why its spinning wildly now ????

hope someone knows

thanks in advance

marco

#13 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:00 AM

click the start menu
click run
type regedit
run regedit and navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives\Volume{random numbers}
look for "Drive Type" string and change the DWORD value to 2

I would like to add that one should always create a backup of the registery before making any changes.
Posted Image

#14 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:53 PM

hi,
i don't know if you have the same problem as i had, but the icon in 'my computer' for my dvd drive vanished last week (along with all drive use).
i got information from the microsoft site wich said that this can happen when you instal or unistal some cd or dvd writing programs.... and i had just installed Itunes.
what i was told to do was....
Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.
Restart your computer.
it worked for me!! i got my icon and drive back!!
it's just a thought, hope this will help.

BBPP6nz.png

#15 TIGYI

TIGYI

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:14 PM

Look at this. is your BURNER hooked to the same cable as another drive in your system, there may be a conflict with master and slave. Yeah I know, Im crazy, it cant be that, "I have it set correctly" you might say. change all drives on that same cable to CS (computer select) and see your drive magically appear. or if that doesnt work for you; plug only your burner by itself into its own IDE port (make it the only one on the cable im saying) and it will AND SHOULD appear. try different configs. if non of that works try it in another system and see if that one recognizes it. and if that doesn't work. eject the try, disconnect the power with it ejected and use it as a cup holder. Your Welcome!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users