Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screwed My Pc Using The Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 FguerraG

FguerraG

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:52 PM

My AVG Free edition detected some threat and I decided to do a full scan , it found several instances of the same virus/Trojan so I moved all instances to the vault but for some reason I couldnít access the vault so I decided to reboot only to find out that I canít log on to my Pc.

So I go to Safe Mode and do the same thing rescanned computer moved everything to the vault restarted and now everything goes wrong, I canít log in neither regular nor safe mode

I have tried the recovery console chkdsk , fixboot and fixmbr with no luck

So I decided to do a repair install in the process I am asked for several missing files

Here they are:

Igfxsrvc.exe

RTHDCPL.EXE

Prounstl.exe

Logagent.exe

Uwdf.exe

Setup_wm.exe

The last 3 when I cancel the request for the file I get an additional message telling me that windows might not work properly without them Ö

This are the files that I believe that I moved to the vault of the antivirus

Is there a way around so I can get my files before I do a fresh install?

Am I screwed?

Can some one help me fix this mess?

TIA.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:13 PM

Hi there, FguerraG, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

To address your last question, that is how to get your files back before starting afresh, you're in luck (assuming you have access to another computer in order to get the tools you'll need.)

The easiest way to save your files would be to boot from a LiveCD or LiveUSB drive. There are several versions of Linux that can do this, as well as an unofficial retooling of the Windows PE (preinstallation environment).

My recommendation would be to download SystemRescueCD, a Linux-based system recovery disc, and use it to copy all your data to a USB drive, a networked drive, or some other external storage place. While it is Linux, it has built-in support for NTFS file systems (as most Linux distros do nowadays) so you shouldn't have any trouble there.

Another possibility is called "the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows" and is available for download from here. While it's an excellent recovery environment that's based on Windows rather than Linux, you have to build it yourself which can be daunting for some, but it does offer a slightly more friendly (in my opinion) interface than SystemRescueCD (though both offer a GUI).

Still another option, if you're not keen on downloading a 600+ MB iso file is DamnSmallLinux, or DSL. DSL is not designed to be a rescue CD, but rather a full fledged operating system. It will still enable you to transfer your files, though, and for only a 50MB download!

Further choices may be found by Googling for "rescue CD"

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 21 April 2008 - 08:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users