Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Increasing Virtual Memory Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pat666

pat666

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:12 PM

Hi all:
I hope this is right forum for this question. I have an old pc that I am trying to keep running until I can afford better. It's running WindowsXP Home, 1.4g mem and a GeForce FX 5500 video card with 256mb memory. I'm finding that when playing games (World of Warcraft in particular) I'm running out of memory and locking up as a result.

Can virtual memory be used to help supplement the video memory? Currently, under virtual memory, it says:
Custom Size: Space Available 50961mb
Initial size 1536mb
Maximum size 3072mb
Total paging file size for all drives:
Minimum allowed 2mb
Recommended 1534mb
Currently allocated 1536mb

Can I increase the amount of memory that Windows will use for virtual memory and will it help make up for a shortage of video memory? If it will help, which values should I change (Initial, Maximum or both) and to what values?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, though, I suspect I might be fighting for a lost cause. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:28 PM

I had the same question/issue a little while ago. The consensus was that it's not possible to use Virtual Memory to extend your video memory.

I'm a little confused as to the error you're getting, though. According to the good people at Blizzard, WOW should run fine with the amount of video memory you currently have. Can you give some more details as to the error(s) you're getting?

I mean, your card has 256MB of video RAM, right? 256MB is actually quite good for video cards (though certainly not top-of-the-line.) For example, my video card (an ATI Radeon x300) has only 128MB but runs most games just fine (though I've never tried WoW on it).

#3 pat666

pat666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:08 AM

Thanks for the reply.
There is no error message. Movement in the game will start to get choppy - kind of like of like when you are getting some lag issues. When that happens I know I need to reboot the computer. If I don't, the screen will eventually go black. I know the game is still running because I can hit enter and type "/exit" and the game will shut down. This leaves me with a desktop with all of the colors messed up (if you think of a color film negative you have an idea of what it's like) until I reboot the pc.

I think I just have to save up and get a new pc. This is a Compaq Presario about 7 years old and is limited to a maximum of 1gig memory and the most recent video card that it can handle is an FX5700. I was just hoping that I could find a way to wring a little more life out it!

Thanks anyway.

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:44 AM

Why save up for a new computer? If I was you, I would go for the latest and best graphics card that is compatible with your computer :thumbsup:

Also, does the wired desktop colors happen when you exit from Wow or every game? HAae you tried waiting and seeing if the colors restore themselves, I know this works for me :flowers:

What are your system specs?

David

#5 GaryT85

GaryT85

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:27 AM

when you say the 'colours are messed up' but windows is still running, check the display properties to see if they have changed..

#6 pat666

pat666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:29 PM

In answer to your questions:
1) The problem as far as I have been able to determine is only when playing WOW - If you're familiar with the game I can play for about an hour, give or take, and then I have to exit and reboot the pc or the problem I described will occur. The new area Blizzard added, Sunwell, is horrible. The pc lasts for about 15 minutes to a half hour there.
2) Once I take it too far and the video goes out in the game the desktop will not correct itself. I have to restart the pc.
3) The display properties remain unchanged.
4) Unfortunately, according to Nvidia, I have the latest and best video card that my pc will handle. I also contacted Compaq/HP and have the most recent bios and motherboard chipset that is available.
5) Here is what I'm running (I know, I know - don't laugh. You're pc's will be old and decrepit some day too :thumbsup: )

Compaq Presario
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1458 MHz
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (256 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5500

Thanks for the responses.

#7 peterdiva

peterdiva

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:37 PM

Sounds like the video card is overheating. The new area maybe taxing the card even more. Check that the fan is still spinning (if it has one), and that the card isn't covered in dust.

#8 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:47 AM

Ok thanks for that :thumbsup: If anything is wrong with your system specs, wait there is nothing wrong with hem :flowers: ! Your specs are fine and are not really old. I would say this has something to do with the video card, possible overheating maybe, I am not sure. Also, I am not that familiar with Wow, so don't count on me for help with that. Also, do you think it is possible error with the actuall game? Have you checked if there is some sort of patch or update that resolve graphics issues? I would check for them :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users