Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootup Problem In Windows Xp Pro. Sp2

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bassy2

Bassy2

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:41 PM

Hell moderators.

I run Windows XP Pro. SP 2.

My system information is as follows.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HOME
System Manufacturer ECS
System Model M825VXX
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1200 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T, 4/2/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name HOME\Smarty
Time Zone SA Western Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 593.68 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.40 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

In September 2007 I had to do a clean re-install of my operating system. I use Avast Home, AVG free antispyware, Spybot, and Spyware blaster as security. My then Ram was 356.

In February I I installed 1gb Ram. I also had my 20 gb hard drive changed to 80 gb and the old 20 used for storage and a clean re-instal was done via ghosting.

Now two months later when I bootup I do not see my start up page eg. megatrends and my bios appear very faint or not at all. The monitor screen remains blank until the black screen appears. It goes blank again until the Welcome screen appears. The system took at mostone and a half minutes to boot and another one minute forty five seconds to load my home page when I click on IE. It now takes four to five minutes all told. (Exactly 2 minutes to bootup and 2.45 minutes to load.

I suspect that my mother board as well as my processor are too slow and needs to be upgraded. I had 33 running processes at startup. I removed about 5. That did not solve the problem.

Can you advise me from the system information above whether it is viable to change my motherboard and processor. My system will be 4 years on 24/5/08.

Thanking you for you advice and/or comments.

Bassy2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:04 PM

I'm not a moderator, just a guy trying to help. If you want your posts to be dealt with by moderators only...that might limit the suggestions that you make available from other forum members.

Just a point...a clean install is not done by ghosting.

When you restore a ghosted version of a system...everything that was right, everything that was wrong...at that time...is restored.

A clean install is a new beginning, with no excess baggage from prior installations. The hard drive is wiped clean, the O/S is installed, Windows is updated, programs/drivers are installed. Nothing of the previous installs remains.

I think I'd try doing some routine maintenance and malware defending...before I considered new equipment as a way of dealing with unknown, unsolved problems.

Why the clean install in Sep 07?

What malware-defense programs do you have installed and updated?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 April 2008 - 06:06 PM.

#3 Bassy2

Bassy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:47 PM

Hello Louis

Thank you for your reply and the tip. I did not mean the thread to be handled exclusively by moderators.

The clean install in september was because the system crashed while attempting to remove a trojan using A Squared online scan. after the install I scanned my backups and 12 trojans were removed using avast Home.

In my initial thread I did mention that I use Avast Home (anti virus) AVG free anti spyware, spyware blaster and spybot S&D. I recently used A2 Free as well as Superantispyware. It seems that the system is clean. I have however found my system to be working in the fashion complained of.

I don't know whether my suspicions are correct but I also feel that system drivers may need updating.

Can you advise?

Please note that the system is approximately 4 years old.

Thanking you in advance for your kind assistance.

bassy2.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:56 PM

If you're worried about drivers try checking your devices in Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Look for any "!" or "X" symbols.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Bassy2

Bassy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:33 PM

Hi budapest,

Many thanks for your reply. The delay in acknowledging same is regreted. I checked my drivers and nothibngs wrong with them. In fact after checking everything I could which is not much because I have only learnt quite a few things, I have come to the conclusion that I have a virus in the system.

Imay now have to start another thread in the proper forum. Certain strange things have begun to happen and even as I my start menue came up about three times. Run has come up about three times and my photo program opened about twice. I had to close them each time before I could continue. this has been happing over the last three days. Every time I try to type an address in msn search, or google search the start menu. run opens, the photo program opens or outlook express opens. I have spent the day running scans to no avail.

I shall be posting in the virus forum. I shall be thankful for your comments and/or suggestions.

Thank you again.

Bassy2

#6 Bassy2

Bassy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:00 AM

Hello all,

I did several scans which brought fruit. I found several malware objects and tracking cookies. My system is now running smoother and faster.

The big problem I decided to post in another forum will not be posted as the culprit was found. It was the keyboard. Luckily I did not through away the old one. I tried it and found it worked perfectly. so it was the keyboard that caused the start menu programs to go wacko on me.

Thank you all for your suggestions and/or comments.

Until next time take care of yourselves and of each other.

Bassy2

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:58 AM

Feedback appreciated, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users