Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Building Help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Connor!

Connor!

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:01 PM

Hi, My current PC is getting quite old and I would like to build a suitable replacement. I am not in a rush to do it, and would probaly just buy it part by part. I have done little research and that is why I am requesting help :thumbsup:

* What research would I need to do before I start?
* Where can I buy components (In the UK)

I am not looking for a super powerful machine, although I would like to play DirectX 8.0 games on it - which my computer now can't even support. I am unsure about what the difference in Motherboards are.

What Operating system would you recomend? I am using Xp now which I am familiar with, I use Vista frequently on another machine and I don't like it very much, but I hear Windows are stopping the sale of their XP operating System.

I don't know what else to write here, so I'm hoping you will ask me questions and hopefully I will provide you with more information that way :huh:

Thanks, Connor ;)
Posted Image
Thanks Shaba! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

Most people will recomend XP 32bit which is what im running on but its up to you. If your running windows vista then you should be looking at running at least 3gb of RAM because vista uses more then xp. You can get windows XP 32bit OEM software off newegg for around $80 bucks.

As for the computer if your going intel then you want to get a motherboard with the 775 CPU socket and most people will recomend running a Core 2 Duo or Core 2 quad processor. Currently right now intel processor are faster then most AMD.

The E4500 is the base core 2 duo and they go up from there with the best ones being the Core 2 duo E8400 or E8500 series. The quad cores are very fast also but normally more expensive. It just depends on how much you want to spend.

You want the motherboard to also support DDR2 memory as a minimum, normally you should go with ddr2 6400 800mhz but if you want faster RAM then go with DDR2 1033mhz and also have at least one PCIeX16 slot for your graphics card.

RAM wise i went with GSkill brand but there are alot of other good brands out there

Right now for a graphics card the minimum best bang for buck is the 8800gs. If you want something better then this then you should look at the 9600gt, 8800gt, or for even faster look at the 9800 series. Good brands graphics this are EVGA and XFX

Also good brands for motherboards right now are Gigabyte, Abit, MSI, or ASUS. These seem to be at some of the top brands to go with right now.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#3 Connor!

Connor!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:42 AM

Hi, Thanks for replying.

I think I will try and get XP before it goes, it is a greate operating system and I find it much better than Vista. Even if Vista looks a little nicer, their are a lot of programs to customize like Stardocks windowblinds.

I am using AMD right now, but I think it's time to change to Intel. They are a little more expensive but I would be worth it.

I already have 2 unused Crucuial 2GB RAM sticks, do you recomend more RAM?

Do the 8800gs support DirectX 9.0? I would even be happy with a graphics card that can support DirectX 8.0 - The one I have now can't even do that.

I have always liked MSI as a brand, but that's just personal preference. I will have a look to see what other MOBO's their are.

would you recomend Liquid Cooling? Is it that much better than fans? Is it not twice as expensive and twice as dangerous?

Know anywhere I can get Cases? I would like one with a see through side - I quite like ones by Jeantech.

Connor
Posted Image

#4 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:45 AM

Yea 2GB of RAM or more is fine for XP. Im running 2GB right now and it runs good. Is the RAM you have DDR2? What speed is it?

As for the graphics cards i think all the ones i listed support up to directX 10.

Here is the link for the 8800gs.
8800GS

Like i said if you want a card faster then this look at these ones from nvidia 9600GT, 8800GT, 9800 series. For ATI look at the 3850 or 3870 but there supposed to be coming out with new cards i think in a couple months.

Liquid cooling i here is really good but i dont know too much about it so someone else would have to give you the overview on that one.

Most people here buy everything off www.newegg.com. Other sites are www.clubit.com, www.tigerdirect.com, www.mwave.com.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#5 Connor!

Connor!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:15 PM

Hi, Thanks for replying.

I know most people say to avoid Ebay, but I found this deal HERE and wanted to know if it is a good price?

249.00 GBP = 497.058 USD

Thanks
Connor

EDIT: Also have a look at his Ebay shop, any other good buys?

Edited by Connor!, 22 April 2008 - 12:17 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:41 AM

In a way i would say no just based on the fact that for $500-$600 you can build a much better computer then that.

Here is the specs on the graphics card.
8400GS

Reason why this card is slow is because first of all its 128bit where the you would want 192bit 8800gs as a minimum or the higher end cards come with the 256bit.

Second this card comes with ddr2 where most cards now are comming with DDR3 as a minimum. DDR3 is faster RAM so i would be more worth while.

Like i was saying with the way pricing is now the 8800GS should be the minimum if you are doing gaming.

Motherboard wise the ASRock brand is definitly not the #1 choice and from what im reading this board is definitly a inexpensive board.

The motherboard only has two RAM slots where most of the good ones (price range $70-100) are comming with 4 Slots. It also only supports up to 4GB of ram where Most in the price range listed will support up to 8GB. It also only supports up to DDR2 800 where most will now support up to DDR2 1033mhz or DDR2 and DDR3 for more expensive boards.

Also the RAM is No Name so you dont know what your buying

Its also says it they use IBM/Hitachi, Maxtor, Samsung, Seagate, Western digital hard drives depending on stock but you will most likely get if i were to guess a Hitachi based on the fact that most of those are cheaper and slower compared to Maxtor, seagate or western digital. Also doesnt say how much Cashe the HDD has. The less cashe the slower it is. Some of the best are the SATAII 3.0 with 16mb of cashe. This is what i currently have and ive had hdd's with less cashe and it definatly makes a difference.

Burner doesnt seem bad but you can pick up one with same specs for about $35+

From what it looks like also this comp doesnt come with an opperating system so thats another add on.

Pretty much its not horrible but if you build your comp piece by piece it will be much better then this.

Also if you look at my system i have listed below it cost me about $600 after rebates without opperating system.

Its all in what you want to spend though each persons spending limit is different.

Also here is a case very simular to the one this computer comes with and as you can see the ratings arent that good for it.

Case

Edited by Lucky23, 23 April 2008 - 12:49 AM.

#7 Connor!

Connor!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:04 PM

Hi, thanks once again for replying.

How do I choose a case that would fit everything in it? I have heard of people having problems fitting things in and having to buy a new case.

I like Jeantech cases, but there are none on NewEgg so I'm not sure if they are good quality.

Connor

Edited by Connor!, 23 April 2008 - 12:05 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:32 PM

Well most people go with a mid tower case as a minimum. If you want a bigger case then the next step up is a full tower case.

#9 Connor!

Connor!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:05 PM

Hi

Is this case suitable? HERE

Thanks
Posted Image

#10 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:43 PM

Doesnt seem bad and looks nice. The reasons cases will get bad reviews is normally because of the case being flemsy and poorly constructed. As long as the case is solid you should have a problem

Here is a couple of reviews on it but i couldnt find much info on it.

reviews on your case

Edited by Lucky23, 24 April 2008 - 03:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users